Crying In Public.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

I cry. A lot. All the time, from the sappiest romantic TV programme to an astonishing piece of music. I don't know why I do it, it just kind of happens: granted it's not in a public place (although I recently went to see a film with a friend, and we were both sobbing in the cinema), but I don't see why there is stigma attached. Granted, I despise making people cry, which happens occasionally: my awkward reactions tend to make them laugh and they stop crying fairly sharpish, but I hate it, it's horrible. So, my motto is, if you need to then let it all out. It may embarrass someone else, but it's your mental health not theirs.

i cried at the Penguin Cafe concert recently. the emotions were too much to keep in at the end and the final piece was very moving.

i almost cried at the end of the last LotR film... but that was because the painkillers were wearing off and the ending was too drawn out.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
It happens all the time on the soaps...:rolleyes:

that kind of Emotional incontinence and narcissistic self indulgence is ok in babies but a bit silly in anyone who has out-grown their milk teeth

Tetedelacourse

I'd have probably been in the Dom and Walker camp until last year. Sure I've mentioned this before but seems apt here again.

Mrs T was pregnant with twins and to cut a long story short, late in the pregnancy, we had to terminate (but still deliver) one to safeguard the wellbeing of the other. I find grief can sneak up on me unawares and in odd contexts. Sometimes it's triggered by something (eg the song Fix You by Coldplay, which we used at her funeral) but sometimes not.

That said, on the rare occassion when it happens in company, I do feel very silly and sheepish so I guess in a way I agree with you Walker.

But my experience is I think kind of what Arch was getting at Dom. Hadn't blubbed since I was about 8 before that.

Tetedelacourse said:
I'd have probably been in the Dom and Walker camp until last year. Sure I've mentioned this before but seems apt here again.

Mrs T was pregnant with twins and to cut a long story short, late in the pregnancy, we had to terminate (but still deliver) one to safeguard the wellbeing of the other. I find grief can sneak up on me unawares and in odd contexts. Sometimes it's triggered by something (eg the song Fix You by Coldplay, which we used at her funeral) but sometimes not.

That said, on the rare occassion when it happens in company, I do feel very silly and sheepish so I guess in a way I agree with you Walker.

But my experience is I think kind of what Arch was getting at Dom. Hadn't blubbed since I was about 8 before that.

Interesting that, the emotions released after such an event (and a sad story, my sympathies). I guess it was having children which removed my own shield of invulnerability, there were plenty of occasions previoulsy in my life which should have done it but somehow didn't, but that did. One day after the birth of son no.1, alone in the house, I found myself in tears for no reason, for the first time in many years. Since then I have found myself much more moved by stories of suffering and sadness than ever before.

longers

Legendary Member
Good call Sam. Played it twice.

I try to keep a stiff upper lip but I do turn away when I start leaking.

Crying at work was well avoided, somehow.

yenrod

One that has meaning for me........

Was managing to keep it together quite admirably keeping an eye on the uncle during Un funerale di suo figlio...then this came on...I was seriously hating the tape recorder !

SamNichols

this is more my thing-

I can't listen to that song, it really gets to me. Boys Don't Cry is a curiously upbeat song for a downbeat topic. Also, I believe that I heard the Johnny Cash one on Hollyoaks the other day: I kid you not. I was watching it with my sisters and thought to myself: 'How dare you use that song, you manipulative people. That's the saddest song ever, and you have used it in HOLLYOAKS.' Nine Inch Nails shouldn't be allowed to sing their own song anymore, it's been effectively murdered for them by someone taking it and making it far better.

SamNichols

SamNichols said:
I can't listen to that song, it really gets to me. Boys Don't Cry is a curiously upbeat song for a downbeat topic. Also, I believe that I heard the Johnny Cash one on Hollyoaks the other day: I kid you not. I was watching it with my sisters and thought to myself: 'How dare you use that song, you manipulative people. That's the saddest song ever, and you have used it in HOLLYOAKS.' Nine Inch Nails shouldn't be allowed to sing their own song anymore, it's been effectively murdered for them by someone taking it and making it far better.

Predictably I watched the video and shed a tear, the part where June Carter-Cash just looks at him with so much sadness gets to me. I then rounded it off by watching Nothing Compares to You: the (real) tears are very moving. So, I am now going to bed with some tears in my eyes.

got-to-get-fit

errrrmmm im sure there are situations when its ok, but when you have had an argument with the wife and she starts crying in the middle of a crowded st Marks square in Venice its sooooooooooooooooooooooo uncool.

Top Bottom