Crystals and gems hobby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crystals come in all shapes, sizes and forms. What has silicon, or conductivity, got to do with them?

Snowflakes, diamonds and table salt are all crystals - and you can grow your own epsom salt crystals.

Personally, for me, I think that so-called crystal therapy and crystal healing are nothing more than superstition and woo-woo; HOWEVER placebo effect is real and if something offers a person worthwhile relief without risks or side effects, for whatever ails them, then it is valuable and shouldn't be mocked.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Haha to be accurate it’s been many years since you’d find Crack in Britain. Crystal meth still hasn’t reached our shores either thankfully.

Very wrong on both counts. sadly. There's plenty of crack heads in the inner cities and crystal meth was here in mid 90's and is known as biker speed nowadays.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Haha to be accurate it’s been many years since you’d find Crack in Britain. Crystal meth still hasn’t reached our shores either thankfully.

The only thing I know about these things is what I pick up from watching online vids about those affected by it. A mate of mine's sister died about 9 months ago aged 59, from years of class A drug abuse. With crack being one of her addictions. :unsure:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Very wrong on both counts. sadly. There's plenty of crack heads in the inner cities and crystal meth was here in mid 90's and is known as biker speed nowadays.

It’s rare though as the coke heads on our shop floor can find very pure grade Cocaine but said crack has been vanished for years now. I suppose it depends on what cities you’re in.

Drinking your whiskey from a crystal glass increases its medicinal properties.

But crystal glass does not actually contain any crystalline structure.
Crystal glass is just a type of glass with 'extra' metal salts added, typically lead oxide, occasionally other other metal oxides. This makes its properties differ from those of non-crystal glass in several important ways.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Some people rotate their finger around a crystal wine glass and it makes an annoying high pitched sound. What’s the science behind that then?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Some people rotate their finger around a crystal wine glass and it makes an annoying high pitched sound. What’s the science behind that then?
It's not vastly different to using a hammer to make a bell chime. Slide a finger around the rim of a glass with just enough friction to impart a vibration. Get the right pressure and speed, at or close to the resonant frequency, and the glass will 'sing' loud and clear.

I can annoy people with wine glasses or pint glasses. Highballs and tumblers are more of a challenge.

Top Bottom