CTC Bag Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dingdongdead

I have one of these for my flight on Friday morning to Lyon. Does anyone have a link to the waiver / paperwork that backs up the CTC bag? I used it last year but can't find it anywhere online.

Thanks in advance.

stuartmac

I'm planning to do the same in a few weeks but from Perpignan back to Stanread, can't find it either, if you get it eventually can you post here please?

I see you used it last year, how did you get on with it and if you don't mind can you give me any advice on how you packed your bike In it to avoid any damage?

Thanks

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Can someone tell me what the waiver/paperwork is. I have never heard of it.

I make my own bike bags out of spinnaker material. Very light, thin and colourful. There is no padding and has as much protection as a CTC bag. I have used them all over Europe with various airlines and have never had a problem.

003_zpswkaloddi.jpg

I finish it of with a thin elastic rope that wraps around it half a dozen times to hold it all tight and give the handlers something to get hold of. It all folds down very small, so I can ride away from the airport. The bike cover can be used to sit on and the rope is a good washing line or keeps things secured on the bike if needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

I'm planning to do the same in a few weeks but from Perpignan back to Stanread, can't find it either, if you get it eventually can you post here please?

I see you used it last year, how did you get on with it and if you don't mind can you give me any advice on how you packed your bike In it to avoid any damage?

Thanks

Can't find it anywhere. Regardless, I didn't need to use it last year. I'm going by myself this year so feel somewhat exposed so I thought I'd take it just incase. Anyway, it's super easy: pedals off, tyres down, handle bars twisted, pop it in the bag and wrap it up. I tried to make it so there wasn't as much excess plastic flapping around so I went all out with the tape. When turning the handlebars, I secured them to the frame with some rope. Got some cardboard / tubing / bubble wrap and protected as much as I could. Lucky found some of these in the basement from previous online deliveries - http://goo.gl/IHWbZf They fit perfect around the rear mech. Anyway, I probably went overboard but better to be safe than sorry.

Can someone tell me what the waiver/paperwork is. I have never heard of it.

I make my own bike bags out of spinnaker material. Very light, thin and colourful. There is no padding and has as much protection as a CTC bag. I have used them all over Europe with various airlines and have never had a problem.

Literally a statement from CTC about the bag being legit and sticking within the guidelines. It's not government official or anything like that but I imagine it'd come in handy just in case someone kicked off.

stuartmac

Thanks everyone.

I have found a company that will rent a hard case bike box, they will courier it to the South of France (hotel happy to receive and store) we fly our bikes back and their courier come and pick it up from an agreed location. £97.

Faced with buying one and courier arrangements are mine also a plastic bag option and all the stress that goes with it. I've taken the easy option. If money isn't a concern it's a really good option.

Cheers

andym

Über Member
Another option would be to buy a bag (69€) from Decathlon:

http://www.decathlon.fr/housse-de-transport-1-velo-id_8023151.html

I think they do click and collect so you can order online and collect from the store.

Or you could just do a circular tour, and leave the bag/box at a hotel near your arrival/departure point. I've never quite understood whys many people have their hearts set on doing an A-B tour when a circular tour would make the logistics a lot simpler.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Another option would be to buy a bag (69€) from Decathlon:

http://www.decathlon.fr/housse-de-transport-1-velo-id_8023151.html

I think they do click and collect so you can order online and collect from the store.

Or you could just do a circular tour, and leave the bag/box at a hotel near your arrival/departure point. I've never quite understood whys many people have their hearts set on doing an A-B tour when a circular tour would make the logistics a lot simpler.[/QUOTE

I have flown into Pisa and out of Venice. Otherwise I would have had to either ride or train back to Pisa. Using the bike bag I posted on here it is not a problem. I roll it up and stick it with my gear and off I go from the airport. I must have used that type of bag about 20 times and have had no damage. I must be lucky.

toffee

Guru
Thanks everyone.

I have found a company that will rent a hard case bike box, they will courier it to the South of France (hotel happy to receive and store) we fly our bikes back and their courier come and pick it up from an agreed location. £97.

Faced with buying one and courier arrangements are mine also a plastic bag option and all the stress that goes with it. I've taken the easy option. If money isn't a concern it's a really good option.

Cheers

Do you have link for them?

Derek

User269

Thanks everyone.

Cheers
Link to the company please!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Or you could just do a circular tour, and leave the bag/box at a hotel near your arrival/departure point. I've never quite understood whys many people have their hearts set on doing an A-B tour when a circular tour would make the logistics a lot simpler.
It's the dream of having the prevailing wind at your back or riding downhill on average, isn't it? Of course, people dismiss the probability of a headwind for days or there still being ranges of hills to cross.

stuartmac

In my case I've done the uk, want to do France and then want to do Spain so I can tell the kids I've cycled JOG to Gibralter, maybe lightweight for some but 6 years ago I couldn't have even considered Id be able to do that. Hopefully it'll teach the kids that anything is possible if you apply yourself.

Although looking at the temperatures in France in the next couple of weeks, it'll be interesting for a fair skinned Scotsman (albeit in exile)

Top Bottom