CTC or British Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rafferty

My membership of the CTC lapsed years ago, but I now feel I need to join a cycling organisation to show my support for cycling. There are also quite a few benefits that come with joining. I would be interested to read the opinions of others before deciding which one to join.

Potato potato.

Damn. Doesn't appear to work when written.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Have a check on the CTC forum, there seems to be dissention in the ranks on the future direction they are taking and issues round making Chris Juden redundant seeing people getting jumpy.

*edit, Crossed with Reg above*

I looked at both and largely much of a muchness, BC maybe a bit cheaper and more race oriented but chiming in with commuting and the mass participation rides. Decided on neither at the end of it though, I show my support for cycling by being out there doing it and getting involved at a local level with my Council cycling forum. Incidentally which neither local elements of CTC or BC attend.

OP
OP
Rafferty

Rafferty

I wasn't aware of the Chris Juden issue. The CTC do seem to be having an identity crisis. BC seem to be partnering the 'Sky Ride' thing, which is encouraging. It will be interesting to see whether or not the CTC shoots itself in the foot this time round. They made an absolute hash of the charity issue, and to hear they have mismanaged their finances has made my mind up for me.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have just renewed my CTC membership for another year. I chose CTC because I think BC is too race/elitist, not for the ordinary commuter, leisure cyclist. Plus the third party insurance is always worth it. I know BC and The LCC offer the same 3rd party Insurance but i feel better off with the CTC. I await the outcome of the CTC inner struggles with apprehension.

OP
OP
Rafferty

Rafferty

BC tends towards elitism. CTC historically more inclusive. Recent CTC charity thing is sad. Members want a membership club IMHO.

How about Audax UK? Still an inclusive membership organisation if rather long distance oriented.......
I'm definitely not into audax! Countryside pottering and the occasional fast ride will do me.

I actually renewed my BC membership this morning. I was a member as part of a triathlon club a couple of years ago, so had a reduced membership fee. Just seemed natural to renew. The continuing wrangling in the CTC, which seems to have been going on over different issues for a long time now I found very off-putting anyway. Seems to be an organisation without any clear idea of what it is or wants to be.

Top Bottom