CTC or Sustrans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
wafflycat said:
*Exactly*

Join British Cycling or the CTC but Sustrans? Never Sustrans.

You don't have to be a racing cyclist to join British Cycling.
You don't have to be a cycling tourist to join the CTC.
By joining BC or CTC you are doing the future of cycling a favour. Join Sustrans, and you are doing the future of cycling a huge disservice IMO.

I agree. I was a member of CTC and on moving, joined a road club with more association with BC than CTC. I then joined BC and I like the youth development work that they do, so feel that my membership is contributing in a small way. Equally, I have respect for CTC, as waffly has pointed out, you do not need be tourer to do join A steel frame, a beard and a rather eclectic group of friends can be the stereotype of the CTCer, but in reality they are a broad church. I find CTC does a lot of good campaigning work which I agree with.

wafflycat

Dave5N said:
With, allegedly, the unfortunate result that the roads are even less welcoming to cyclists.

I'm no Lance Armstrong (or even Greg Lemond xx() but I don't want to have to share with walkers - I'm too quick* and they and they're bloody dogs are too ill-disciplined.

*Not a claim I often make about my cycling.

Even I'm too quick to be sharing farcilities with walkers and I pride myself on being a pootler of the lanes, as opposed to a speed demon. Shared farcilites promote the idea that cycling is purely a pastime, something that is *slow* by nature, and when I say slow, I mean slow - walking pace. Even the most inexperienced cyclist is faster than walking pace on the flat.

Dave5N

Über Member
wafflycat said:
Even I'm too quick to be sharing farcilities with walkers and I pride myself on being a pootler of the lanes, as opposed to a speed demon. Shared farcilites promote the idea that cycling is purely a pastime, something that is *slow* by nature, and when I say slow, I mean slow - walking pace. Even the most inexperienced cyclist is faster than walking pace on the flat.

Well put.

It also gives policy makers the idea that they can shove the cyclists off onto a little path (paid for by the lottery) and not tackle the real issues of shared roads.

Abitrary

Simon, how good is the CTC insurance thing, in all possible aspects of owning a bike i.e.

-being crashed
-having it nicked

jonesy

Guru
The question is a bit of a false dichotomy as the choice posed is between two organisations that are not directly comparable. The CTC is a representative organisation, it exists to provide services to its members and campaigns on our behalf. Sustrans is a charity, with 'supporters', not members, whose purpose is to support the aims of the charity. In fairness to Sustrans, it has never claimed to be anything else.

Arbitrary - you may be referring to three different things.

Legal advice and help. That comes with membership - but, while the advice is free, the CTC takes on cases in a variety of ways. Sometimes it simply picks up the bill. Sometimes it's no win no fee. And if the case isn't winnable they won't take it on. You have to read the document, which I should have to hand and don't :blush:

Third party insurance. That comes with membership. This is far more important than in former times, because car insurers regularly threaten a counterclaim when you claim against them (he dented my radiator grille, m'lud). Having third party insurance means that you can pursue a claim without fear of incurring a loss. To be honest I would simply not leave home without it.

Insurance. The CTC sells (expensive) cycle insurance that has the reputation of being the best. I don't buy it because I can get good cover on my household goods insurance

To be honest the simple thing to do is to go on to the CTC website and check it out. If you have trouble finding the bits PM me and I'll sort it out.

the one thing I didn't mention is the discount you get from bike shops. I spend a fair bit in bike shops and reckon to get my membership (which is about £57 for families) back

Abitrary

simon l& and a half said:
Third party insurance. That comes with membership. This is far more important than in former times, because car insurers regularly threaten a counterclaim when you claim against them (he dented my radiator grille, m'lud). Having third party insurance means that you can pursue a claim without fear of incurring a loss. To be honest I would simply not leave home without it.

yeah, i guess this is the most worrisome one.

That's obviously something that the CTC source from someone else though? Or does it all work in conjunction with the other stuff?

wafflycat

Noodley said:
Is there a list of shops which offer discount to CTC members?

I have, on occasion, asked for discount being either CTC or BC member. I ask politely, and on the assumption that if you don't ask, you don't get. Usually some discount is forthcoming. Mind you, with my LBS, he gives me a discount anyway, cos i iz a nice lady and he iz a seereeuzlee gud bike shop.

Top Bottom