CTC or Sustrans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

simon l& and a half said:
if you're not getting the mag then let me know and I'll sort it out. Better yet, let me know which ones you're missing and I'll do my best to sort that out too.

You get a campaigning organisation, controlled by its members, beholden to no-one, that believes that cycling is the future for transport in cities, and that cyclists have a right to ride on the road. You get a network of right to ride reps that knock on the doors of their local councils, asking questions, and putting the case for safer roads, cycle stands in public places, and consideration of cycling when roads are redesigned. You get the hundreds of rides that set off every week. You get the legal protection, which is handy if you're hit by something, and you get the fund of advice that's built up off millions of miles ridden.
Excellently put, Simon, and no less than I would expect ... except for just one little detail. 'Transport in cities'? Don't forget that we hicks out in the sticks also see a future for cycling, well away from the urban sprawls. I reckon that in my 2-mile commute which stays entirely within the built-up area but takes me entirely across town from one side to the other, is also me 'doing my bit' and me telling the folks of Burgess Hill that 'I'm a cyclist and better believe it'. Better put would be '...in cities, towns, villages and the countryside'. A minor detail, maybe, but one we notice...

Sustrans? Easy to knock it but it has a purpose. Just that the existing 'facilities'* are so often a farce, we just love to decry the tree-in-the-middle, the right-angle-bend, the "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT", all that crap. Simple fact is, four times out of five, I'm trying to put across the pleasures of cycling to a non-cyclist, time and again I get the stock answer "if only there were completely traffic-free routes...". Try as I might to insist, "...but cycling in traffic is nowhere near as deadly as the media portray it", I know I'm just not winning the argument. I venture to suggest that even Simon L doesn't win the argument every time. Do you? Even Roger Geffen doesn't win the argument every time, I reckon. I wish it were otherwise. If every motorist knew and observed a few simple rules, we'd be 100% safe, and then we'd win this argument.

*One thing preying on my mind: I know we're very fond of using the portmanteau word 'farcility': probably invented by the cycling fraternity, I'd suggest avoiding that word (though I have used it one or twice, myself). Why? Well, portmanteaus are generally ugly and indicative of a paucity of expression. But, more importantly, a certain cagers' site we all know and love hate, seems to have coined the words 'scamera' and 'talivan'. Please let's not mimic them.

OP
OP
yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Excellent points made by all, think I will continue to remain with CTC, although they better send the mags this time :sad:

wafflycat

Join one or other, if only for the third party liability insurance, legal advice & assistance. £5m third party liability with CTC membership, £10m third party liability with BC membership. £35pa adult membership either of them. £35pa for peace-of-mind and help when you need it.

Top Bottom