Cube Access Hybrid pro 500 - any advice on which spec?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BSOh

BSOh

Über Member
Marathon Plus are hard to beat for commuting, but you might want to consider Big Ben Plus.

It's a 2" balloon tyre which does give some air suspension.

You might be grateful of that if you fit a rigid fork.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/big-ben-plus

They look good thanks for the tip.

And thanks for your help, not just on this thread but I read other threads where you have given advice to others when I was doing some initial research. :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They look good thanks for the tip.

And thanks for your help, not just on this thread but I read other threads where you have given advice to others when I was doing some initial research. :thumbsup:

Thank you for thanking me - I could bore for England on the topic of ebikes.

You seem well set, you have realistic expectations of what an ebike could do for you, and have been prepared to spend an appropriate sum of money to get there.

For most new ebike riders, weight - and sometimes range - are the biggest downsides.

The weight will never go away, but as you say is not a problem while riding along.

It can be a nuisance when manhandling the bike through obstructions, such as A frames on cycle paths.

With that in mind I try to ride routes that don't have too many of those.

Hopefully your commuting route is mostly on roads or unrestricted paths.

OP
OP
BSOh

BSOh

Über Member
Well I commuted Monday and Tuesday on the bike, and I'm very happy. The weather on Monday was really awful, so bad that I left the house and thought of turning back a mile in. But I told myself if I could commute in that then I can commute in anything and cracked on. :becool:

I found that I used mostly eco mode on the way, with some tour mode thrown in on the hillier parts. On the way home I used mostly tour, with some turbo mode for the nightmare hill at the end of the journey.

I had thought about seeing how far I could stretch the battery on a single charge. Then thought sod it, as its a replacement for the car as commuter transport, and not for exercise then I'd be as comfortable as I could be and make the journey as easy as possible. It also made it way more fun ^_^. I rode 40 miles using 4 of the 5 bars of battery. I'm pleased with that considering how much assist I used :blush:

I was right about the mudguard needing fettling, but ignored myself and ended up having to remove the front stays mid ride.

The seatpost rack is coming off and will be replaced with a seatpost bag. Also finding the stock seat uncomfortable, bit will give it a bit longer before I swap. The lowest 2 gears started skipping on second ride so also need fettling. I don't use them so not too much bother to fix asap, I'll get the lbs to sort them when they upgrade my tyres.

Here's the bike looking very 'used' after only two journeys. She'll get a clean tomorrow :laugh:

IMG_20200226_185455.jpg

IMG_20200226_185556.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Extending the rear mudguard to beyond the bottom bracket to help keep the crap off the motor and same extension to front mudguard to stop spray covering the motor, frame and chain drive. These little mods will keep your maintenance down a fair bit

Top Bottom