Cube Adjustable Stem - but how?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
So today my wife finally collected her new Cube Kathmandu SLX750 and very nice it is too!

Just doing some fine tuning to her riding position and the need to lower the angle of the stem down a touch. I was assuming that as there are two Allen bolts in the stem it would just be a case of undoing said bolts, adjusting the angle and then retightening the two Allen screws again....wrong!

I've undone the both the Allen screws (actually removed the lower one altogether) and it still refusing to move, so before I doing something I probably shouldn't, I thought it best to seek advice first.

Any suggestions as to what Im doing wrong please?

s-l1600.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not sure. I'd only undo the one nearest the 14 to adjust the angle. It looks like the forward bolt may be so different lengths of front part can be fitted.

Does it have any part numbers or similar? Someone may have the instructions or know it well.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Not sure. I'd only undo the one nearest the 14 to adjust the angle. It looks like the forward bolt may be so different lengths of front part can be fitted.

Does it have any part numbers or similar? Someone may have the instructions or know it well.

Sorry no part numbers showing on the stem and a quick search on Google suggests that others have had the same problem. Cubes website just states take it to a dealer and let them do it.

I have removed that bottom shoulder bolt and nut and whilst the stem assembly appears to then loosen up, it refuses to budge?
It looks to me that the "side plate" on the stem needs to come off in order for the stem angle to be readjusted. I've loosened the top bolt but the side plate remains firm? I don't really want to try and start forcing things off just yet, we have only had it a few hours....lol

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
On this type of stem, the two side bolts should not be touched. There ought to be a third bolt on the top, and this tightens down on a ratchet system that locks it into place. Undo this bolt, and adjust position as required, then tighten back up.

There are no other bolts apart from the two side ones.

Attachments

• 20240310_074402.jpg
    20240310_074402.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240310_074422.jpg
    20240310_074422.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240310_074505.jpg
    20240310_074505.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
That said, l've just managed to adjust it now. With the two side bolts fully undone and with a a lot of wriggling about the side plate slowed moved away from the main body of the stem to reveal a 360 degree toothed piece under the bottom bolt.
Unfortunately, l couldn't reduce the angle as much as l would have hoped due to the brake hoses running underneath the stem. But it's lowered a little bit l guess.
Engaged all the teeth on the locking rings and tighten the two bolts back to 12Nm.
Jobs a good 'un....

Top Bottom