Cube attain sl disc - 1000 mile review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al3xsh

Über Member
I have now had my cube attain sl disc for 3 months and have done nearly 1000 miles on it - so here are my thoughts.

Firstly I should state that this is my first "proper" road bike so I have limited experience to compare it to. Prior to buying the Cube I have been riding around on a Giant Roam 1 hybrid (bought as a commuter bike to get to the station via the cycle to work scheme - just over 18 months ago - which has been my introduction to cycling). I am keeping the Giant for commuting and popping down the shops duties, and saving the Cube for fun!

In short it is a fantastic bike! It might not be the lightest in class (the Hoy Alto Irpavi I tested at Evans was roughly half a kilo lighter) but it hasn't ever felt heavy. It also seems to demand being ridden hard - I feel like I'm letting it down if I just potter along ;-). I'm still smashing personal bests on strava on most rides!

Initially I ordered in the 58 size having looked at the geometry charts (I'm 6ft 1), but, after sitting on it in the shop and taking it for a test ride, the guys in the shop recommended trying a 56 - which turned out to be a much better fit. At this point I should say a massive thank you to JE James in Chesterfield for their help and forbearance with all my nooby questions! They spent a lot of time with me helping to get the bike set up right, making sure it was the right size, and pointing me in the direction of some decent hills for a test ride. Rob in particular was a fantastic help! I would highly recommend them and have been back since for lots of bits and pieces!

One thing that surprised me is that, despite the Giant having a triple and some seriously low gears, the Cube makes lighter work of climbing even seriously steep hills (including Riber and Monsal Head). This is probably helped a little by the compact chain set and 11-32 cassette. On that note, I have never once regretted the decision to get a 32t cassette! It is now my "get home" gear to make sure that, even after a hard ride, I can still get up the 7% hill (up to Beeley Moor in the Peak District) that is almost always on my way home!

I love the look of the bike - black with fluoro green detailing - and have obviously had to go for matching bottle cages now! The internal cable routing (including for the rear hydraulic disc brake) keeps everything tidy and I don't find it rattles any more than the external routing on the Giant. Some of the roads around here are that poorly surfaced that everything rattles - brake levers, water bottles, my teeth!

The hydraulic disc brakes (shimano rs 505s) are effective and provide consistent braking in all sorts of conditions - though they are not as fool proof as I had hoped! Unfortunately it turns out I can still carry too much speed into a corner and overcook it I managed to lock the rear brake into a corner at the bottom of a steep descent and ended up leaving some of my skin on the road ...

The shifters are a bit of a funny shape (where the hydraulic reservoir is) which took a bit of getting used to but, with the addition of some padded gloves, they seem now to fit my hands well.

All in all it's a fantastic bike and I would highly recommend it!

crazyjoe101

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, I have my eye on this bike pending sales and finantial position in the next months.

Buck

Guru
I have a Cube, albeit and older Peloton Pro and it is a great bike. Also a thumbs up for JE James here as well - always had great service and advice from them.

I did have a look at the Attain as it is now starting to show in the sales and the colour combination is really nice (and different) but am holding off the inevitable N+1/Upgrade at the minute!! Glad your enjoying it and you have the same challenges as we do up here in Yorkshire!!!

LincsBlue

Nice write up, that's one of the ones I'm looking at for my first road bike especially at the prices it's going for now!

OP
OP
al3xsh

al3xsh

Über Member
Nice write up, that's one of the ones I'm looking at for my first road bike especially at the prices it's going for now!

I'm still really enjoying it! I've done quite a few 50s, and managed a 100 earlier this month on it! I find it really comfortable (and now my hybrid feels heavy and clumsy on my commute!).

A

Nytsom

Just about to Buy? Cube Attain SL - 2016 model but in 58cm size - I'm 5ft.11 . going for the Non-Disk Black n Red version

Nytsom

Well I bought it; 2016 CUBE ATTAIN SL. but bought a size 56, after trying both sizes, I bought the non-disk version; I prefer the conventional rim brakes, and the bike was slightly lighter in weight than the disk brake model.
Flash red on black with 105 throughout. let you all know how well it goes in about 6, months.

Purrple

Initially I ordered in the 58 size having looked at the geometry charts (I'm 6ft 1), but, after sitting on it in the shop and taking it for a test ride, the guys in the shop recommended trying a 56

Hi al3xsh! Can you help me a little? I am planning to get 2017 version of this cube attain sl bicycle. Struggling to decide should i go to 56cm or 58cm frame. Im about same height as you, and my inseam is 35.4 inches. My trunk is 24.8 inches tall, and my arm length is 27.5 inches. What are your measurements al3xsh? I would be happy to know. I would like more relaxed position on the bicycle. I'm newbie to road bikes also.

OP
OP
al3xsh

al3xsh

Über Member
Hi al3xsh! Can you help me a little? I am planning to get 2017 version of this cube attain sl bicycle. Struggling to decide should i go to 56cm or 58cm frame. Im about same height as you, and my inseam is 35.4 inches. My trunk is 24.8 inches tall, and my arm length is 27.5 inches. What are your measurements al3xsh? I would be happy to know. I would like more relaxed position on the bicycle. I'm newbie to road bikes also.

My inseam is around 34 - 35 inches, arm length approx 30 inches (arm pit to finger tips), and trunk is around 25 inches.

I was ok on the 58 for the test ride, but a bit less stretched out on the 56. Can you test ride?

A

Purrple

My inseam is around 34 - 35 inches, arm length approx 30 inches (arm pit to finger tips), and trunk is around 25 inches.

I was ok on the 58 for the test ride, but a bit less stretched out on the 56. Can you test ride?

A

Hmm interesting.. So I have 1-1,5 inches longer inseam, our trunk height is same but you have 2,5 inches longer arms and you were happy with 56cm frame.
So 56cm frame sounds interesting too. The one thing that keeps me awake at night is the top tube. 56cm top tube on 56cm frame and 57,5mm on 58cm frame.
There are no cube retailers where i live, nearest is about 5-6 hours drive away, so big nope. I have tried a trek domane 4.3, at 58cm frame which felt really good. the top tube was 56,7mm long, so 0,8cm difference there, which doesnt sound very much. The reach was also 0,8cm shorter. You could always buy shorter stem and move saddle, I guess. 56cm frame sounds small to me, because I have long legs. If I have to raise my saddle, will the bars be too low compared to saddle? Youre about same height as me at everything expect arms, so thats why 56cm frame sounds good. I would like a nice relaxed position on the bike. Hard decisions :wacko:

Jason945

Old thread revival...

I bought one of these late December and absolutely love it. I'm 5'11" and bought the 58, I do run a shorter stem to lift my shoulders having had operations on my back. I also ride the same routes as the original poster and completed the Brewin Dolphin Peak Challenge on it.
I wanted the Alu because I'm a little bit of a fatty and Carbon makes me nervous. I do have a set of Hope 20 fives which I am currently setting up tubeless.
If you're wavering over getting one of these I would highly recommend.

Jay

Top Bottom