cube peloton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
I was tempted by a Cube a couple of years ago but the lbs was owned by a complete arrogant ignorant twat and after a bit of further research I heard (at the time, don't know about know) that Cube had serious issues when it came to customer service/ timely replacement if anything was found to be wrong. In the end I bought a Rose, finding then to be slightly better specced and one hell of a lot lighter £ for £, they also allow customisation at build.

The peloton SL posted by toeknee looks a nice bike but having said that for an extra £90 you could get one of these with full Ultegra and over 1KG lighter.
Hi
my lbs is cycles uk I like the shop and the folks who work there my current bike was from Halfords id rather go to an independent chain im not 100% certain
what im going to get yet but will buy a new bike very soon the cube looks decent maybe you could look at the cycle uk Chelmsford website and see if any thing stands out
in the 5-700 pound range they ve got some nice looking meridas coming soon
Glen

OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
yeah I m going to buy something new, big outlay I know but will appreciate whatever I buy if it takes a fair chunk of my savings
Im going to buy my bike from cycles uk its my nearest lbs I like the staff there and the shop my current bike is from Halfords
maybe if you get a chance take a look at the Chelmsford website and see if anything stands out in the 5-700 pound range the cube seems ok they ve got some nice looking meridas coming soon.I know people flag up great online deals on here but id rather be fitted properly and if there are issues the shop is 15 minutes away
Glen

OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
I'm sure they are good but the frame welds are just so ugly, something you might see on a mail order MTB. If you can live with that go for it. For comparison look at a Boardman.
Hi cycleops ive posted this to a few other respondees im going to buy my new bike from cycles uk Chelmsford like the staff (cytech trained) and the store its my lbs ,only 15mins away.maybe if you get a chance take a look at their website and see if anything stands out in the5-700 pound range might stretch to a bit more, the cube looked ok but there are others I quite like and got some nice looking bikes coming soon
thanks Glen

OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
The majority of manufacturers don't spend/time money of grinding down and/or filling the welds on ali frames, so don't get too hung up over it.

I've had a peloton since 2011, and it's been faultless over that time. It's now running an 11 speed 105 groupset, and it keeps getting better
thanks for your input

Mrs M

Guru
My hubby has a cube hybrid, good spec and lovely lookin bike. We have a Cube dealer not too far away and they are folks we are happy to deal with.
However, have read online that the Cube response to any problems is pretty poor, (that was for a cracked carbon frame).
Peloton looks very nice and good spec for ££
I would narrow it down to a few bikes, look online for reviews and try them out, go with what feels good for you.
When I was looking for a road bike the bike that I was absolutely NOT going to get is the one I bought.
Looked very girly but once I changed a few minor things like saddle, bar tape, etc that was gone.

Mrs M

Guru
Had a look at cycleukChelmsford, I would go for the Cube or Cannondale Synapse, but that's just me.
Have fun choosing and hope you enjoy your new bike.

OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
thanks for taking a look I was hoping to go for 700X25s this time I ve read there a bit more comfy not fussed if they re slower than 23s not sure how true
the comfort/speed issue is but Its not critical, not fussed if the bike isn t well known brand as long as the spec is b etter than my Carrera tdf

OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
My hubby has a cube hybrid, good spec and lovely lookin bike. We have a Cube dealer not too far away and they are folks we are happy to deal with.
However, have read online that the Cube response to any problems is pretty poor, (that was for a cracked carbon frame).
Peloton looks very nice and good spec for ££
I would narrow it down to a few bikes, look online for reviews and try them out, go with what feels good for you.
When I was looking for a road bike the bike that I was absolutely NOT going to get is the one I bought.
Looked very girly but once I changed a few minor things like saddle, bar tape, etc that was gone.
thanks very much for your input

OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
the cube has a great reputation, can't say much more my self sorry :sad:
what ever bike you settle for you will love it no doubt but if you are buying brand new then yes ti is worth trying to test ride a few different ones
oh and remember, make the frame the priority as in buy a bike with the best frame possible as upgrading components is easy and cheaper than buying a whole new frame and upgrading that
Cheers Ed
thanks for your input ed like ive said to a few others if you get a chance to look at cycles uk Chelmsford website see if anything stands out in my price range
5-700 pound its my lbs decent staff as most bike shops ive been to are to be honest but I ve decided the bike will come from there
Glen

Glen, if you are determined to purchase your bike from a particular shop, then the best advice is to go along and get a few test rides on the various machines they have available. At your price point don't get hung up on headline groupset bits, money will have been saved in other parts, wheels most likely. Whilst it is commendable to support your lbs, a good bike fitting will cost '00's of pounds and won't be included in the price of the bike, other than to make sure the frame size is probably ok.

NorvernRob

It's worth looking at the wheels on bike around the £1000 mark, as most bikes will be supplied with a very cheap set to get the bike to that price point.

I have a 2014 Peloton Race as my winter/training bike. I picked it up recently as an end of season bargain and the spec is superb for the money. Complete 105 groupset (not 105 mechs then cheaper everything else) and Mavic Aksium wheels with 25mm tyres fitted. It weighs 8.6kg which isn't much different to carbon bikes around the same price point.

I would try one if you can though, as the frames come up small and you may be better going up a size.

OP
OP
glenjarvis

glenjarvis

Regular
It's worth looking at the wheels on bike around the £1000 mark, as most bikes will be supplied with a very cheap set to get the bike to that price point.

I have a 2014 Peloton Race as my winter/training bike. I picked it up recently as an end of season bargain and the spec is superb for the money. Complete 105 groupset (not 105 mechs then cheaper everything else) and Mavic Aksium wheels with 25mm tyres fitted. It weighs 8.6kg which isn't much different to carbon bikes around the same price point.

I would try one if you can though, as the frames come up small and you may be better going up a size.
Thanks
wheel quality comes up a lot on here
would you say good wheels are the most important factor when buying a bike im not fussed about going quickly but I want to go further do quite a few miles a week for a beginner but max 25 miles at a time

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cannondale synapse is a popular bike, £600 http://www.cyclesuk.com/10587506/products/cannondale-synapse-alloy-claris-2015-road-bike-bbq.aspx or the Peloton: http://www.cyclesuk.com/10587866/products/cube-peloton-pro-2015-road-bike-white-red-and-black.aspx and the Allez http://www.cyclesuk.com/10587062/products/specialized-allez-2015-road-bike-orange.aspx
These are the three most popular bikes in your budget.
Or you could get a carbon frame for £750: http://www.cyclesuk.com/50020/products/specialized-tarmac-2013-road-bike.aspx
On a thousand pound bike the wheels are going to be around £150-200. On your budget they will be in the same relation. I would say the frame is the most important component.

Top Bottom