Cube triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Chain Reaction have the Cube triple reduced from £599 to £420. It has a 11-32 cassette and Claris groupset. I am very tempted as I like triples as I think they give you more gear choice. I also always fancied a Cube. Does anyone have that bike and what is your opinion on it?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Never owned one but heard only good things said about them. Bargain at that price I wouldn't hang around if you really want one.

Buck

Guru
Chain Reaction have the Cube triple reduced from £599 to £420. It has a 11-32 cassette and Claris groupset. I am very tempted as I like triples as I think they give you more gear choice. I also always fancied a Cube. Does anyone have that bike and what is your opinion on it?

Is it this one?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-peloton-triple-road-bike-2015/rp-prod127980

I have the Peloton on a compact and running 105 group set. For what it's worth, I live in a very hilly part of Yorkshire and the compact has the right range of gears for me and the hills. (IIRC it the cassette is a Tiagra 12-30)

Fantastic bike for the money and for me a great introduction to road cycling. I've had nothing but compliments about the bike and for me it does ride very well. I've had no issues and whilst there are better bikes out there they are £££££s more!

One tip : watch the sizing. I am on a 56cm and I'm only 5'7" and a bit! I put on a shorter stem (20mm less I think) but other than that it's 'stock' and is a great fit for me.

Buck

Guru
The 53 will be spot on. You're virtually the same height and leg measurement. (My inside leg is 29.5) I tried both and the only reason I got the 56 was that it was second hand from a member off here!

I had a bike fit and the guy in the shop said I fitted both and the only change he'd recommend was the stem and he was right. Buying new I'd go for the 53 and ride with the saddle slightly higher (I think the cranks are 170 on the 53. Mine are 172.5s)

Buck

Guru
Np. Good luck if you decide to go for it. :okay:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
See plenty of Cubes about. Nice looking bikes and well regarded.
IIRC I think @Sittingduck has a cube....

Aye - although I recently 'decommissioned' it. The components were used to rebuild my Miilook, which I have pressed into service as a winter commuter/hack.

I had a Streamer which was something of a bargain 3 years ago, full Ultegra for something like 700 quid, if I remember correctly.
Sizing is a bit funny on them though. Mine was a '58' but I found nothing measuring anything like 58cm and I am 5'9" with a 30" inside leg, although it was always a bit on the big side. They definitely come up small, compared to othe brands. Good value, mind...

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Oh my goodness... I sense a +1 coming on.

However, sizing? Not sure whether I should have a 56 or a 58? My Triban 500SE is a 57, my old Apollo TDF a 58. I'm guessing 58 (I'm 5'11" and a bit, possibly even 6' on a good day, 32" inside leg)?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Can you get to a shop that sells them for as test? Not sure but I think Cycle Surgery used to stock Cubes? Checkout the geometry but I wouldn't be surprised if you was a 58 or even a 60.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
I was tempted at this for a trainer bike...but opted for a giant defy 3 from Rutland at 399...cube are very good bikes though know quite a few folk who have the peloton

Buck

Guru
@Dec66

I'm sure you're right it'll be a 56 or a 58 but I think you need to sit on one first as the geometry is different across the whole frame (sorry for the sucking eggs moment there!)

As sitting duck says, see if you can find a local stockist to sit on the bike.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Tweeks on the Wrexham industrial estate sell Cubes. I got the 2014 model for £549 earlier this year. I've only done a couple of hundred miles on it but it's a nice bike. I am 5'11" and got the 56cm and find it a good fit. I lowered the saddle considerably and raised the bars slightly, I like a more upright position. It does look a bit small but I put that down to the sloping top tube which I'm not familiar with!

Attachments

• prod126274_White%20-%20Red_NE_01.jpg
    prod126274_White%20-%20Red_NE_01.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom