Cube/Wilier/Colnago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Tynan said:
£1,500 budget for a weekend bike?

I'm stopping being sorry for you now

My budget was £1000 but I've been convinced that I might as well get a really nice bike that I love now rather than be thinking about what could have been in a years time.

Our Cyclesceme also allows me to pay over 18 months which helps.

A year ago it would probably only have cost a little over a grand ;)

you could probably guess what I'd say.
Another vote for the Wilier

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Sittingduck said:
You'll be doing a service to the local economy ;)

Have you set yourself a deadline yet (for deciding)?

I want it to be today. I've just called DeVer cycles and they have the Mortirolo, Primevera and Arte on display. So I'm going to try to get out of work early and go down this evening (If I can't go this evening then it will have to wait until next week :biggrin:) Confirmed. I can leave work early :ohmy:

If they can do a good price then I'll get the quote and start the ball rolling on the voucher tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
They also have the Wilier La Triestina which has carbon forks and seatstays but Alu frame and at £1000 very pleasing on the pocket.

Another one to add to the list.

I was going to look at the Roubaix Elite but there all sold out until the 2010 model comes out.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
A good compromise between the light carbon and stregth of aluminium I might even be able to negotiate an upgrade on the shifters for a little more.

This thread is now taking shape thanks to *us*...you do realise that we don't do all this for nothing Luke - so keep the 'big number ' in mind as it will cost you the balance of that in breakfasts and beers the first time you are caught mouseketeering.:ohmy:

Nice bike too - particularly if you can work in an upgrade to Centaur :tongue:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
AAArrrgggg

I've just got back from De Ver cycles and the very friendly owner started talking to me about building up a frameset.

He quoted me £1070 for a Cinelli Xperience frame with Veloce, Mavix Aksium wheels. The frame looks nice but all alu with carbon forks. Very light though.
I have no experience with Cinelli at all, so I'm not sure.

He put his last Veloce groupset (at last years price) on the online bike builder and told me to play around with it. So that's what I'm doing.

Uping the anti a bit I've found a Time Speeder frame which would take it up to about £1500 with Fulcram 7 wheels.

I'm more confuse than ever. If anyones got some spare time on their hands feel free to play around with the bike builder and give suggestions.

(The only Mortirolo he had was a veloce setup at £1650, I'm aiming for no more than £1500 on the bike)

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Another option. That's about £100 cheaper as well.

The website is only showing mediums in stock but I would need a large, but he might be able to order it in.

I'll need to give him another call in the morning.

I have whittled it down to £2529.30 Luke.:thumbsup:
Cervelo RS frameset (you don't need to buy a seatpin!:biggrin:)
Bar Phat tape with Centaur carbon, Fulcrum 5 and Pro Race 3. Bontrager steering gear.
I don't know why, but I always associate Cinelli bikes with teensy looking geometry. There is no reason for me to think this way - I just have the image of tiny silver or white bike with an oversize logo...:tongue:

Sod it - not being very helpful am I?

But. My Veneto is Altec2 aluminium with carbon forks and the Look is HR Carbon. Maybe you need to take a ride and see what suits? Do De Ver have any test bikes in any combo of ingredients - just to try?

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Aperitif said:
I have whittled it down to £2529.30 Luke.:thumbsup:
Cervelo RS frameset (you don't need to buy a seatpin!:smile:)
Bar Phat tape with Centaur carbon, Fulcrum 5 and Pro Race 3. Bontrager steering gear.
I don't know why, but I always associate Cinelli bikes with teensy looking geometry. There is no reason for me to think this way - I just have the image of tiny silver or white bike with an oversize logo...:biggrin:

Sod it - not being very helpful am I?

But. My Veneto is Altec2 aluminium with carbon forks and the Look is HR Carbon. Maybe you need to take a ride and see what suits? Do De Ver have any test bikes in any combo of ingredients - just to try?

£2500?? You didn't try very hard did you? :tongue:

They didn't have any of these made up, but if they have stock hopefully they wouldn't mind building them up.

Problem is that now I won't be able to get down there after the DunRun. I was going to take the monday off anyway.

I think I'll see if he has the Time and Cinelli in stock and order a voucher for £1600. I could always make up difference my self, then go and spend the day building and un-building frames.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
De Ver is my all-time most disliked bike shop on the planet (plays idly with box of matches and reaches for alibi). If I see someone on the road in a De Ver strip I have to overtake them, and that can be hard work on the Brompton. Seriously, though, I'd never go through the door. Except in a truck.

Brixton Cycles my (second) favourite is just down the road, but if you want good advice at that kind of money then Luciano's at the Junction is hard to beat, provided you speak to the proprietor.

And I wouldn't go for the Colnago. I think that every time you walked past it you might think you've overpaid for Taiwanese OEM. And you'd be right. Actually, Colnagos are for middle-aged geezers in flashy shoes with more money than sense.

I'd consider the Dawes Torino (all carbon, although not very light) with Shimano 105, but, to tell the truth I'd give Lincoln at Brixton Cycles a call and ask him if there are any Specialized bargains available, or go to Lucianos and ask about the Trek 1.9 which is aluminium with carbon forks, fitted out with Ultegra (watch our for dodgy ratios on the cassette) and Bontrager. And Lucianos will have a Kuota Kharma, which is over your budget, but pretty darn good.

The advantage of Trek and Specialized is that they make their own frames, and their research is continuous. They don't wander around Taiwan every year looking to see what they can re-badge. And their buying power is tremendous.

Oh, and just to prove that there is no real pride in purchasing a bike I'd speak to Matthieu at Evans (!) at Clapham North and ask if he's got a bargain he'd recommend. I'm sure there is absolutely no truth in the rumour that Evans are having trouble shifting bikes and are discounting furiously, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And to go back to where we started. One of the most important components of the bike is the service you get afterwards, allied to the honesty of the people selling it to you. I reckon that paying a small premium to an outfit like Brixton Cycles is worth it, if only for the quality of the after sales service.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hmm - Luciano's is my closest LBS and gives the feel of a flashy boutique. They charged me £17.50 to replace 1 spoke and true the wheel :biggrin:

They seem to be geared up for high end road bikes though.

Top Bottom