Curcuit race training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Andy_G

My initial plan was turbo training Tuesday and Thursday, then race Saturday and if i feel ok then a 4-5 hr club run and the following week swap the club run for a mixed solo road ride.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
You need coaching in order to enjoy your cycling?

No I use coaching to help me improve my performance and technique. One of the many aspects of cycling I enjoy is seeing myself improve and get stronger, but I also enjoy greatly the social aspect of cycling, I'm not willing to sacrifice one for the other.
At the moment I have a new MTB coach as improving technique in this displine will permit me to get greater future enjoyment from it

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe the coach wasn't very clear. Unless the clubrun is pushing you into over training territory or sapping freshness pre-race it is unlikely to slow you down, however, a traditional clubrun is unlikely to contribute efficiently to getting faster.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It might slow your progress that is for sure. When I knocked it on the head to train alone indoors, March through Sept my progress went through the roof. However for someone less fit, like I was when I became a club cyclist, club riding can bring about huge gains as well (did for me).

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Unfortunately my club is geared towards time trials and not road racing and that's a draw back.
Even though I've only been a member for just under a year I might leave, only because I want that extra push and I know there's 3 other local clubs that are more road race minded.

VamP

Banned
If you have the fairly typical 8-10 hours a week to train AND race, then a 4-6 hour club run with a coffee stop will use up a disproportionate amount of your time, for little benefit in terms of race specific fitness. Club runs are social affairs that cater to that side of cycling. To get better at road racing you need a lot more intensity, and you need to be able to run your own training sessions in a way that fits in with your training plan. If you want to make some of that social, then find a mid-week chain gang. Otherwise just use the club runs as a social/recovery affair, but don't expect they will do much for your race fitness.

I only really do club rides as part of unstructured riding in my off-months - that's August and February. I just don't have time for them the rest of the year.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Things are telling me that a change is needed.
I like the set up at London dynamo because their race minded and on the website they seem well structured.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Ok then so if you was me how would you train.
I finish work at 7pm ish which leaves me about 3 he's a night and say I don't go on club runs.
I bought the joe friel training bible but that just confuses me and the season will be over by the time I read it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Alone, on a turbo trainer, consistently and progressively. 90 mins max per session.

Plus a weekly chaingang or some sort of circuit training (as in training on your bike, on a crit circuit or a simulated crit circuit, not pushups and whatnot) once a week to work on bunch skills and cornering. Not needed for a time triallist really, I don't do it (and it shows, my bike handling is dire vs that of a road racer or crit racer), but would be imo pretty much critical for a road racer or crit racer since bike handling goes a long way, as does knowing where to stick your front wheel and when.

Last edited:
Ok then so if you was me how would you train.
I finish work at 7pm ish which leaves me about 3 he's a night and say I don't go on club runs.
I bought the joe friel training bible but that just confuses me and the season will be over by the time I read it.

What time do you start work? A team mate of mine is out the door at 5am most days and puts in a three hour ride before going to work. I hear lots of people saying that they 'don't have the time to train' - but I also know some very good amateur racers who work extremely long and unsocial hours and they are still comfortable at 2nd cat or above...

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Th
Alone, on a turbo trainer, consistently and progressively. 90 mins max per session.

Plus a weekly chaingang or some sort of circuit training (as in training on your bike, on a crit circuit or a simulated crit circuit, not pushups and whatnot) once a week to work on bunch skills and cornering. Not needed for a time triallist really, I don't do it (and it shows, my bike handling is dire vs that of a road racer or crit racer), but would be imo pretty much critical for a road racer or crit racer since bike handling goes a long way, as does knowing where to stick your front wheel and when.
The problem with our club runs is that it only averages 17 mph and is always slowing down to let the others catch up.
As far as I'm aware in our club we only have 3 riders who want to race and it's a nightmare trying to get together during the week, hence maybe I should look at another club.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Forget about the club run predicament, it is a non-issue.

Get together with those other racers in your club and talk to them. Otherwise ride with a collection of racers local to you, you needn't always ride with just your club, chances are some racers from your club, ride with some racers from another club/team etc, try get yourself involved with that.

Top Bottom