Curious about new wheels, hubs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
That link is to a pair of fully built wheels, in other words a complete wheelset, so the only thing you need to add is your cassette, and possibly rimtape, and possibly skewers.

What I would say is, why risk importing such an item from the Far East? I know they might be cheap, but a wiseman once said, buy cheap buy twice!

Also, what if something goes wrong under warranty, chances are you would have to pay for return shipping!

Last thing, carbon is not the auto upgrade everyone thinks it is, in fact carbon wheels are very often heavier than alu ones, go figure.

OP
OP
P

PLuKE

I am new to cycling, more so upgrading.

Skewers?

I do think the same with buying cheap. I was just wondering what I would need when buying new wheels. Are hubs interchangeable or doesn't it work that way?

Luke

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
When your rims go (assuming the hubs are still ok) I'd get a decent wheel builder to put new (better) rims on.

I had a set of Tiagra / DRC ST18 wheels built by Paul at Rick Green cycles, and although not terribly exotic, they're lovely wheels, and far nicer than the ones that came on the bike. You could go with a lighter rim if you want something fancy.

OP
OP
P

PLuKE

Thanks.

Are the wheels and tyres lighter than my Maxxis Detonator tyres and Alexrims Race 24?

I want an upgrade that I will notice, but they do seem good value.

Luke

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the bike? I had maxxis detonator tyres and they were rubbish! I changed to marathon plus as for a commuter bike so they are heavy and slow too, but there are plenty of tyres out there that would be an upgrade. Ditto, I don't think Alex rims are much cop, I have fulcrum 5 on another bike which are light and seem to roll well, I paid under £150 for a precious years version, but I think the 2014 can be had for under £200

If not in the market immediately, at least change the tyres to a Michelin pro or a continental gp4000, other options available

OP
OP
P

PLuKE

I don't think I could spend £200 on wheels at present. This is my first road bike, Merida 93 Carbon.

Miche Reflex RX5 seem ok looking at the reviews?

Luke

OP
OP
P

PLuKE

I don't like waiting, so was thinking a change now to improve things?
Or would the weight difference not be noticeable?

Maybe I could ask for some nice carbon wheels for Christmas off the missus :wub:

OP
OP
P

PLuKE

Why do you want carbon wheels? With wheels, I don't think it's all about weight

Buy Fulcrum 5s now and then if you want to upgrade later, you can add to N+1 or sell

http://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-racing-5-clincher-wheelset-2014-63284.html

Or this package would be an upgrade http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-7-clincher-wheelset-tyres-and-tube-bundle/

I like carbon, because well it's carbon! I am smitten by any nice material.

The Fulcrum 7 look a nice wheel and a good buy too! The decals and wheels look nice, somewhat racey look to them.

Something I must consider now!

Thank you.

Top Bottom