Curious coroner's remarks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigCoops

Meanwhile, the elephant in the room slips silently away...

"He also had to wait in an ambulance outside Bronglais Hospital for 50 minutes, due to the A&E department being full"

Now is it me, or is it 'common' sense that a head injury (in this case a severe one) would take absolute priority on arriving at A&E?

As far as the coroners remarks go, I wonder if the same comment would have been made had the poor man been struck by a car travelling at 30mph. I'd suggest not.

:sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And you'd be right:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mared-elfyn-teacher-lost-control-7056422

Not a word about the speed, not a word about "breaches of the Highway Code". How curious.

Not curious and not relevant.

In that case, the deceased teacher lost control of the car she was driving and collided with a blameless driver coming the other way.

Very different to a cyclist colliding with a pedestrian, who later died from injuries sustained in the collision.

Good result for the cyclist, he has got away with the killing - no criminal charges - just a shot across the bows from the coroner.

The coroner's remarks seem reasonable to me, 25mph in the rain, in the dark, on a poorly lit narrow lane will be seen by many as reckless riding.

BikeLiker

The coroner's remarks seem reasonable to me, 25mph in the rain, in the dark, on a poorly lit narrow lane will be seen by many as reckless riding.

Don't agree. A cycle can outbrake a car, it has about 10% of the mass of a car and therefore 10% of the kinetic energy, so why should 25 mph be considered excessive speed? I'd love to know what the "breaches" of the HC were; why have the police not charged the rider? Because no offence was committed?. Sounds like typical bikeism mentality to me, from someone raised in an era when cycling was the transport option for the impoverished whose rights could be overlooked..

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

“Had they [the breaches of the Highway Code] not occurred it could well have meant that the collision would not have occurred,” said Mr Brunton.

I would have thought that maybe the words in brackets were inserted by the reporter, except Brunton goes on to say:

Summing up the evidence and recording a verdict of misadventure, Mr Brunton said: “I have never encountered a case like this before.

“This case highlights the dangers of bikes riding at high speed.”

pauldavid

Veteran
Don't agree. A cycle can outbrake a car, it has about 10% of the mass of a car and therefore 10% of the kinetic energy, so why should 25 mph be considered excessive speed? I'd love to know what the "breaches" of the HC were; why have the police not charged the rider? Because no offence was committed?. Sounds like typical bikeism mentality to me, from someone raised in an era when cycling was the transport option for the impoverished whose rights could be overlooked..

Or maybe they had more information on the incident than you and less of a chip on their shoulder and a feeling of being hard done to?

BikeLiker

Or maybe they had more information on the incident than you and less of a chip on their shoulder and a feeling of being hard done to?
Why would I feel hard done to? I cycle, drive and motorcycle roughly equal distances per annum so have no axe to grind for any particular group of road users. Part of the role of a judge / coroner is to present their summation coherently. Here, that particular coroner has failed regardless of how much information he was privy to.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
From the article quoted the only section I can see which mentions a possible breach of the HC is the following:
"The inquest heard that Mr Eakins turned his headlight off when its battery ran down, but did have a bright and fully working headtorch on."
I'd guess that the lack of a lamp fitted to the bike would count as a breach in letter if not in spirit (given the presence of a headtorch).

Although the following does indicate that the coroner at least though that the requirement to be able to stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear may not have been adhered to:
"Coroner Peter Brunton found that the poor street lighting and excessive speed for the circumstances caused the collision."

Having said that, I think it unlikely that any comment would have been passed if the guy had been killed by a car driver in similar circumstances....or for example in bright sunlight......

pauldavid

Veteran
What breaches of the HC took place please Paul?

I don't know Glenn, and neither do you because neither of us attended court.

if this had been a car with one blown headlight bulb (the cyclists front light was off) that had hit a cyclist you'd have started a thread screaming that the driver got away with murder. The cyclist was travelling to fast to be able to stop or avoid an object given the amount of light available, collided with and killed a man.

Stop trying to find a way to make the situation look like a hardship for cyclists and have a little respect for the deceased pedestrian.

Tit

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

I don't know Glenn, and neither do you because neither of us attended court.

if this had been a car with one blown headlight bulb (the cyclists front light was off) that had hit a cyclist you'd have started a thread screaming that the driver got away with murder.

Nope. Try again.

Top Bottom