Curious Speedzone (Wireless) Computer Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
It happens in the same place every time. On the Epsom Road A246 into Guildford just before the Giant Bike Store, as i hit around 24 mph downhill: the screen scrambles and shows nonsense for a few seconds and then 'recovers'. It does then seem OK although my max speed once showed as 39 mph (i wish!). It's happened 3-4 times in recent months, otherwise the computer's worked fine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is it a sophisticated ploy by Giant to get me to stop and buy a new computer?

classic33

Leg End Member
Underground/overhead powerlines.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I had something similar happen to me last weekend. A Cateye Velo something wireless computer - wouldn't work when I span the front wheel before setting off, but started working half a mile later. Then on a long downhill where I was doing 30+ it was reading zero, then going up the other side (8-9 mph if I am honest) it was reading 24. I had used Mapmyride to record the ride, and at the end the computer was down about 10% on the mileage, so it was obviously not working at all for some periods. I had this once before after I started using a new light, and moving the light to the opposite end of the bars cured it. But this time removing the light altogether made no difference. Curious, and interested in any suggestions.

You've found a mini black hole.

Do you have an old fashioned compass somewhere? Take it with you and see if the needle wavers when you're in the same hot-spot.

I had something similar happen to me last weekend. A Cateye Velo something wireless computer - wouldn't work when I span the front wheel before setting off, but started working half a mile later. Then on a long downhill where I was doing 30+ it was reading zero, then going up the other side (8-9 mph if I am honest) it was reading 24. I had used Mapmyride to record the ride, and at the end the computer was down about 10% on the mileage, so it was obviously not working at all for some periods. I had this once before after I started using a new light, and moving the light to the opposite end of the bars cured it. But this time removing the light altogether made no difference. Curious, and interested in any suggestions.

I think this happened for different reasons than the OP's case. In your case, it is a matter of a poor channel between the transmitter and receiver. Reset it to a different channel. The instruction manual will tell you how.

spen666

Legendary Member
There is only one solution to the problems of the OP

He needs to buy another bike, and a new top of the range computer/GPS to go with it

RichardB

Slightly retro
I think this happened for different reasons than the OP's case. In your case, it is a matter of a poor channel between the transmitter and receiver. Reset it to a different channel. The instruction manual will tell you how.
You're probably right; I just thought the symptoms were similar. It's a cheap no-frills computer, and the only 'manual' was a page on how to fit it, I'm afraid. Cateye Velo, about £30, from memory. Thanks anyway.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. The new bike is obviously the best suggestion, if the least parsimonious. But i've dug out an old compass and i'll investigate the scene of the crime and report back. Can't find a map of any installations that throws any light.

Edit: Well, I'm none the wiser. Comp zeroed out a bit further down the hill than usual then recovered. I got off and walked up and down the pavement like a demented water-diviner, but did not register anything of note on the compass. No nearby overhead power lines or sinister-looking government buildings - just a cycle shop and a vet.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Galaxy phone threw a wobbler just now when I was standing next to a scanner in the entrance to my hotel.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i once rode over the forth road bridge on a borrowed bike with a wireless comp; at the crown of the bridge (where various mobile phone masts etc. are placed), the computer showed as little as 5mph before jumping to 90 and then settling on the 15 that i was actually doing…

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. The new bike is obviously the best suggestion, if the least parsimonious. But i've dug out an old compass and i'll investigate the scene of the crime and report back. Can't find a map of any installations that throws any light.

Edit: Well, I'm none the wiser. Comp zeroed out a bit further down the hill than usual then recovered. I got off and walked up and down the pavement like a demented water-diviner, but did not register anything of note on the compass. No nearby overhead power lines or sinister-looking government buildings - just a cycle shop and a vet.
What did you expect a secret government "building" to look like? There's that well placed manhole cover, well maintained near the junction, which has the street name obscured by google!

Perfectly normal.

Top Bottom