Current Affairs Folder posting only, no replies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought I will post it here as a general consensus would be be a helpful to Admin @Shaun .

Why not a Current Affairs folder that one can post but replies are not allowed. It will help members keep tab with recent events, policies and general news of interest. It can be reason for logging in daily to get the latest from one place. Do not make it into a single thread as a new post in a folder will give the headlines and members can decide to click. A post of value in a long running thread will not show anything.

There will hardly be any moderation effort except to remove those with a repeated propaganda agenda. Some conditions will be helpful.
  • Post must be news as in new. No article that are older than 5 days.
  • Must be from mainstream and regional media ( lets not nickel and dime to death on what is mainstream or regional)
  • Public Service announcements such as changes in healthcare, benefits, retirement age, schools, crime figures etc
  • No articles, op-ed from columnists or opinion pieces , just news as they are reported.
Members can do their own research and form their own opinion.

Worth a try, a possible compromise?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Primary 'fail' on the 'chat' test.

Thought I will post it here as a general consensus would be be a helpful to Admin @Shaun .

Why not a Current Affairs folder that one can post but replies are not allowed. It will help members keep tab with recent events, policies and general news of interest. It can be reason for logging in daily to get the latest from one place. Do not make it into a single thread as a new post in a folder will give the headlines and members can decide to click. A post of value in a long running thread will not show anything.

There will hardly be any moderation effort except to remove those with a repeated propaganda agenda. Some conditions will be helpful.
  • Post must be news as in new. No article that are older than 5 days.
  • Must be from mainstream and regional media ( lets not nickel and dime to death on what is mainstream or regional)
  • Public Service announcements such as changes in healthcare, benefits, retirement age, schools, crime figures etc
  • No articles, op-ed from columnists or opinion pieces , just news as they are reported.
Members can do their own research and form their own opinion.

Worth a try, a possible compromise?

The main problem I see is that the "mainstream" media has bias too, and in the UK most print media has a right wing bias, and even if they're not op-ed pieces they will still show their point of view. I'm not saying this is right or wrong; newspapers are privately run and can hold whatever political opinion they wish, it just happens to be the case in the UK that the majority tend to the right.

If there's no option to challenge and discuss this you could just end up with links to the same newspapers, and by definition a rather narrow world view. By removing the whole "discussion" aspect I think it removes one of the most valuable features of the NACA board.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Posting 'News' without the ability to challenge the source, could lead to the folder being spammed wit all sorts of nonsense.

I would agree that discussion is needed, but sadly, from what I saw, that isn't what happened in NACA.

The noisier posters tended to have a very set agenda, and simply shoe horned and soapboxed their opinion and dismissed or reworded other peoples opinions. That's not discussion.

I've enjoyed this forum for the light hearted chatter, and issues created in NACA has a tendency to poison posts on other threads.

If it's an issue, I'm sure there are political forums out there, and for some posters, there are perhaps some benefits in finding ones with support for underlying and unresolved mental health issues.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Nice try Arrowfoot, but im sure the usual suspect will find a way to foxtrot it up for everyone.
Surely if it was a singular suspect (innocent until proven guilty, no doubt) excision would be an easy solution.
Paley: it's not you.

Why, @CéG? Why do you feel the need to suggest this? Have you no self-discipline? Think it, if you must: but type it?
Maybe making the suggestion is itself a form of self therapy?

It's my opinion based on observation, and also in my opinion, it is a factor in why some threads end up as they do.

It's actually a positive comment, especially if it encourages some self reflection. We all carry some degree of baggage, it's how that is managed and manifests in the rest of our life that differs.

Drago

Legendary Member
It looked more apolitical to me, with people generally having a laugh at the expense of politicians utterly regardless of their political affiliations. For example, I myself have a josh at the expense of both right and left in that thread.

There is actually a difference. It's not the fault of the well adjusted folk who can have a grin without being nasty that certain people are so blindly partisan that they themselves can't tell the difference between political discussion and people just merrily taking the pith.

That is the problem, people being so maladjusted that they are unable to separate reality from the internet. It's not difficult to see who is responsible because its the same names every time, and one wonders how they actually cope in real life when they struggle so badly with the virtual one.

While Arrowfoot's idea is a noble one, it is for this reason I fear it would never succeed.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
the same names every time
It's easy then isn't it? @Shaun has the technology............ But what if it isn't that easy? I've no idea as I don't go into NACA much and if I do it's not for long. I'm only here as it's in Cafe (and so far a it's short thread that my tiny mind can follow this far).

Speaking for myself I'd prefer any NACA fall out to remain in NACA (or some other place) and not the Cafe.

That's my tuppence worth in this discussion. :hello:

Top Bottom