Current "best" front Dynamo light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Now the nights are drawing in* the best bike will be getting a dynohub wheel built by DCR Wheels. SONdelux since you ask.

What does the hive mind say is the best dyno front light and why?

*you read it here first folks.

John_S

Über Member
Hi,

My apologies because this isn't exactly a review or comparison of various dynamo lights versus others because I've only ever owned one dynamo set up. I commute all year around in all weathers and last year made the switch to a dynamo hub & lights and it's one of the best decisions I ever made because I love the fit & forget (touch wood because it's been trouble free so far) nature of dynamo set ups knowing that I'll always have lights and I don't need to worry about whether or not they're charged up.

http://en.bumm.de/products/dynamo-headlights/lumotec-iq-x.html

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

Anyway re: my set up I got the Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ-X and I've found it to be very good on my commute. My commute is a mix of unlit rural roads and then urban with street lighting. The beam seems to be shaped well and so hopefully it isn't dazzling oncoming traffic and for my needs anyway it lights up enough of the road in front of me. As mentioned I'm sorry because I can't given any comparison review to other lights and so I've no idea how it performs again alternatives but I'm happy with this B&M light.

Good luck finding the right light for you.

John

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use the Supernova E3 Pro2 front & E3 Tail Light 2 on the rear of my trike. I cannot fault either light in any way.

Front

Rear
My initial research has pointed me at Supernova, as I am a happy owner of a pair of Airstreams.

I generally prefer battery rear lights to avoid the wired-up bike look but accept I fitted a dyno rear light on the tourer so I could forget about it!

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
B + M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus headlight with USB connection on my tourer beats my Edelux II on my Audax bike. Just. Well maybe. Oh I don't know.
and probably wins the prize for longest lamp name ever?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
B + M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus headlight with USB connection on my tourer beats my Edelux II on my Audax bike. Just. Well maybe. Oh I don't know.
<de-shouted>

On the other hand, I've seen quite a number of reliability problems/failures reported with the Luxos.
Reliability is not a problem with the Edelux II.

Bear in mind that the sensitivity of the eye works logarithmically, so that the difference between 80 and 100 lux (say) is not very much.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
<de-shouted>

On the other hand, I've seen quite a number of reliability problems/failures reported with the Luxos.
Reliability is not a problem with the Edelux II.

Bear in mind that the sensitivity of the eye works logarithmically, so that the difference between 80 and 100 lux (say) is not very much.

Thanks. Not sure what happened to my font settings. I've had the opposite. The B&M has soldiered on for 3 years with no issue. The Edulux II on the other hand has had issues with the earth wire coming off the fixing on the lamp. The fixing is very small and sunken so it's hard to do with cold fingers or in the dark. I changed the shape of the spade connector and so far so good.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Thanks. Not sure what happened to my font settings. I've had the opposite. The B&M has soldiered on for 3 years with no issue. The Edulux II on the other hand has had issues with the earth wire coming off the fixing on the lamp. The fixing is very small and sunken so it's hard to do with cold fingers or in the dark. I changed the shape of the spade connector and so far so good.
???
The small sunken spade terminal is meant to be power out, for the rear light.

The Edelux comes with a coaxial cable with 2 spade connectors for a SON hub, and the hub doesn't connect to earth so the Edelux doesn't need to, but does, via the mount, unless you've got it on one of those plastic handlebar mounts.
A rear light would normally also be connected by a 2-conductor cable, with one conductor running between the power out terminal on the Edelux to the power in terminal at the rear light (2.8 mm female spade at both ends, normally), and the other running from the rear light earth terminal to
the Edelux mounting bolt. SON sell a suitable cable that is neater & more reliable than DIY.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
???
The small sunken spade terminal is meant to be power out, for the rear light.

The Edelux comes with a coaxial cable with 2 spade connectors for a SON hub, and the hub doesn't connect to earth so the Edelux doesn't need to, but does, via the mount, unless you've got it on one of those plastic handlebar mounts.
A rear light would normally also be connected by a 2-conductor cable, with one conductor running between the power out terminal on the Edelux to the power in terminal at the rear light (2.8 mm female spade at both ends, normally), and the other running from the rear light earth terminal to
the Edelux mounting bolt. SON sell a suitable cable that is neater & more reliable than DIY.

Oops. My bad. Yes I meant the rear light. I did, early in in the build, have a problem with the crimp on the earth but that's fixed now. SJS is great for lighting spares, so thanks for the heads up for when I'll renew anything.

Top Bottom