Current Media Backlash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

yorkshiregoth said:
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of media resentment against cyclist recently. Much of it coming from the Evening Standard, Mail, GMTV etc etc.

Anyone else notice this??

Absolutely. Not just members of the public on radio shows etc, but more celebs and journalists singling it out as their pet hate.

I reckon it's congestion charging and the perceived 'war on the motorist', and they see wider adoption of cycling as a worst case scenario.

And consequently snobbery, because cycling is still ultimately seen as a mode of transport befitting those of a lower socio-economic status.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
A few years ago the London Evening Standard ran a competition the prize being the cost of your commute for a year.
In the teensie weensie tiny print of the comp rules it stated that you could win the cost of petrol/diesel for your work commute, in exceptional circumstances.

I wrote to the Standard asking what the option would be for someone who commuted by bike and needless to say I never recieved a reply.

I think wherever bad press finds the cyclist, it continues to back up the views of your(below)average and ignorant driver who will hear it as a calling to arms.

T x

wafflycat

domtyler said:
I think he may be right actually. The saddle can restrict blood flow to the penis, hence the proliferation of saddles with cut-outs.

*smug satisfied expression*

Cycling has never had any adverse effects on my dear husband's family jewels. They are in prime working order! ;):thumbsup::biggrin::thumbsup:

*more smug satisfied expression*

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
we are the new pakistanis (except, obviously for anyone who was already pakistani). the pc brigade have made disliking anyone on the basis of creed/colour/sexual orientation/nationality etc etc as socially unacceptable as drink driving.

bigotry does not go away, it just finds another target. the daily mail et al need someone to blame for everything.

out of interest, why are there so few black/asian faces in the pro (and amateur peloton (with apologies to maz)?

cue lots of people telling me i'm wrong, but that's how it is in cheshire.

Top Bottom