Curry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My Uncle used to make a wonderful curry, unlike anything I've had from a take-away or restaurant. It was green in colour, and had plenty of potato in it. He's half Indian so I expect he got the recipe from his mother. I friend of mine described a similar curry that his Indian grandmother always made. I've never managed to prise the recipe out of my uncle as he jovially sucks his teeth and mutters 'family secret'... although i expect it's quite a common recipe. It's not like curried potato, more like a veg stew, but green and spicy. (although on Boxing Day, it always had turkey in it)

Any idea what i'm talking about?

...since when is curry synonymous with unhealthy?? Unless of course you mean the rubbish from takeaways. I make plebty of curries and they're full of goodness.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

My Uncle used to make a wonderful curry, unlike anything I've had from a take-away or restaurant. It was green in colour, and had plenty of potato in it. He's half Indian so I expect he got the recipe from his mother. I friend of mine described a similar curry that his Indian grandmother always made. I've never managed to prise the recipe out of my uncle as he jovially sucks his teeth and mutters 'family secret'... although i expect it's quite a common recipe. It's not like curried potato, more like a veg stew, but green and spicy. (although on Boxing Day, it always had turkey in it)

Any idea what i'm talking about?

I'm afraid not. However, the green ingredient in many curries is often copious amounts of puree'd spinach which can be found canned in most Asian supermarkets.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

...since when is curry synonymous with unhealthy?? Unless of course you mean the rubbish from takeaways. I make plebty of curries and they're full of goodness.

The curries on my website are BIR (British Indian Restaurant) style curries, so they tend to be quite heavy on oil and, in some cases, cream. Not all curries are unhealthy, you're right, but BIR curries tend to be meals that should be reserved as a treat as opposed to a staple.

I guess the type of oil (or ghee) would be important

nappadang

Über Member
I cook a lot of curries, all of which I think are good and healthy. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas and your creations look excellent. I particularly like the base sauce/gravy idea, knocks mine into a cocked hat.
I will definitely give some of these a go. Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Great site. Have book marked it.

But, it would help if you had a little explanation about each dish before the recipe.
ie My favourite is a Pathia. But I bet not many people know how to describe a Pathia.

Top Bottom