Cussing on the Chuffing Internet...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's the great outraged for the most part on the internet, if you add loads of swear words your more upset about something that you don't really know or care about but your peers will think your awesome..

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Much handwringing about effing and blinding.
Properly used, swearing is useful. Helpful when a bit of grunt is needed to get a job done or a hod lifted.
Throwing all chavs into the swear swamp is unfair and lazy thinking: plenty of middle class snobs I meet swear a lot. It's not about status or intellect
Elements in all walks of life are races to the bottom; the internet is no different, except for the anonymity and remoteness of swearer from swearee.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Although I'm a devout Republican I've always admired the Guardian for the quality of its reporting, comment and editorial, if not their pinko commie political leanings.

Lately though I've binned it off. This is because the columnists have become downright nasty, using foul language and insults to describe those with whom they disagree. Nasty, vitriolic, utterly shocking language unbefitting what used to be a quality read, and proof that fascism thrives on both sides of the divide. The much derided Daily Mail doesn't even stoop that low, but no one - other than me - bats an eyelid when a Guardian columnists swears while describing someone.
Don't fall for it, it's all a ruse. The tabloids keep their swear words asterisked out so they can pretend to be outraged at so called "Nasty, vitriolic, utterly shocking language" while being nasty, vitriolic and exploitative themselves.

Classic example is the Sun, which will bowdlerise the word t*ts but print it next to a full colour picture of some actual tits. A few asterisks here and there do not give them the moral high ground.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I do swear. Quite often really, but not in public and only in certain circumstances.
I don't really care for the 'swearing means you lack intellect' type bollocks some people preach. I hate snobs.
I do think talking in a language that can't be understood by others is quite rude though.

In my school and university years I worked every holiday on a Wimpeys building site (courtesy of my late uncle who was a site manager).

I must admit to never feeling comfortable swearing, even before that, but the constant swearing, even for mundane stuff such as "pass me a f****** shovel" or "can you drive a f****** dumper truck" put me off it for life. My friends, including one who is the retired Head of a primary school and has always used the most extreme language in the club, gently mock me for my mild language.

The closest I get to swearing now is using asterisked words such as "sh*t" on this site, although I will admit to using strong language once or twice when I was in extreme pain.

If people constantly use swear words in everyday talk what do they use to convey real anger or pain? It seems often to be meaningless and based on a need to fit in. I am not disgusted by, or look down at it, just bemused.

I watched a very funny show on TV the other night with Kevin Bridges the comedian and was amazed that people even laughed/cheered louder when he used the F word.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't fall for it, it's all a ruse. The tabloids keep their swear words asterisked out so they can pretend to be outraged at so called "Nasty, vitriolic, utterly shocking language" while being nasty, vitriolic and exploitative themselves.

Classic example is the Sun, which will bowdlerise the word t*ts but print it next to a full colour picture of some actual tits. A few asterisks here and there do not give them the moral high ground.

T**s you say? In the Sun, you say?

Top Bottom