1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Wheel Choice

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by fossyant, 12 Oct 2007.

1. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I have two spare sets of wheels, both tubular, and from my racing days.....

1 x pair Dura-Ace 7400 with Wolber Profil 18 rims, 28 hole
    1 x pair Hed Jets - Carbon/Alloy rim and Hope Titanium Hubs, 28 hole

Both sets aren't used anymore. Both sets of hubs are like new - i.e smooth.

Do I get them rebuilt into Mavic CXP33/Open Pro/Open Pro Ceramic - All Clincher

Weight built into Open Pros would be about 1650g for Dura Ace, possibly 100g less or more for the Hopes (excludes skewers- 180g for DA) so they compare quite nicely with good factory wheels. CXP 33's would be another 100g heavier.

What do I get built up ? - the DA's match my groupset, the Hopes are lurvely but means wrecking a very nice wheelset.

As for price the Open Pro Ceramics would push up to over £200 for build, possibly £120 for the CXP's/Open Pro (normal). CXP's win on looks, Open Pros win on robustness.

Or do I get something like the Planet X's for £150......

I've always had custom built, although I am currently using some Aksiums which are a stop gap until I get something else built up - then they go to the training bike.

Open Pro Ceramics on DA hubs would be a very nice wheelset, keep the Jets if I ever race again ?

Hoping to get the family to club together for my birthday to contribute towards the cost - done this for a few times as it means I get something I'd like, but wouldn't necessarily buy.

Any opinions ?

2. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

You need an accountant, not a bike forum

3. fossyant

I am ?

4. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Chartered or certified or both?

5. fossyant

Chartered.....

Wheel pref is i think, custom on my DA hubs with either CXP33 or ceramic open pro.