Custom Wheel Choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have two spare sets of wheels, both tubular, and from my racing days.....

1 x pair Dura-Ace 7400 with Wolber Profil 18 rims, 28 hole
1 x pair Hed Jets - Carbon/Alloy rim and Hope Titanium Hubs, 28 hole

Both sets aren't used anymore. Both sets of hubs are like new - i.e smooth.

Do I get them rebuilt into Mavic CXP33/Open Pro/Open Pro Ceramic - All Clincher

Weight built into Open Pros would be about 1650g for Dura Ace, possibly 100g less or more for the Hopes (excludes skewers- 180g for DA) so they compare quite nicely with good factory wheels. CXP 33's would be another 100g heavier.

What do I get built up ? - the DA's match my groupset, the Hopes are lurvely but means wrecking a very nice wheelset.

As for price the Open Pro Ceramics would push up to over £200 for build, possibly £120 for the CXP's/Open Pro (normal). CXP's win on looks, Open Pros win on robustness.

Or do I get something like the Planet X's for £150......

I've always had custom built, although I am currently using some Aksiums which are a stop gap until I get something else built up - then they go to the training bike.

Open Pro Ceramics on DA hubs would be a very nice wheelset, keep the Jets if I ever race again ?

Hoping to get the family to club together for my birthday to contribute towards the cost - done this for a few times as it means I get something I'd like, but wouldn't necessarily buy.

Any opinions ?

Abitrary

fossyant said:
I have two spare sets of wheels, both tubular, and from my racing days.....

1 x pair Dura-Ace 7400 with Wolber Profil 18 rims, 28 hole
1 x pair Hed Jets - Carbon/Alloy rim and Hope Titanium Hubs, 28 hole

Both sets aren't used anymore. Both sets of hubs are like new - i.e smooth.

Do I get them rebuilt into Mavic CXP33/Open Pro/Open Pro Ceramic - All Clincher

Weight built into Open Pros would be about 1650g for Dura Ace, possibly 100g less or more for the Hopes (excludes skewers- 180g for DA) so they compare quite nicely with good factory wheels. CXP 33's would be another 100g heavier.

What do I get built up ? - the DA's match my groupset, the Hopes are lurvely but means wrecking a very nice wheelset.

As for price the Open Pro Ceramics would push up to over £200 for build, possibly £120 for the CXP's/Open Pro (normal). CXP's win on looks, Open Pros win on robustness.

Or do I get something like the Planet X's for £150......

I've always had custom built, although I am currently using some Aksiums which are a stop gap until I get something else built up - then they go to the training bike.

Open Pro Ceramics on DA hubs would be a very nice wheelset, keep the Jets if I ever race again ?

Hoping to get the family to club together for my birthday to contribute towards the cost - done this for a few times as it means I get something I'd like, but wouldn't necessarily buy.

Any opinions ?

You need an accountant, not a bike forum

Top Bottom