Custom "winter" bike ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
..and wet weather too really. :angry:

Had a look on the Kinesis website as I liked the look of the TK2 on the ad in Cycle magazine (the CTC mag) and it seems quite a good looking frame for not much money. Good reviews too. I also note a cheaper T2 frame by Kinesis, same geometries

Now my idea is possibly to use the old Mavic Aksium rear wheel (hanging in the shed) and install a bigger tyre (maybe 32 or 35). I have a DC19 alexrim and an Aksium front hub - making me wonder if I could put the two together with some DTSwiss spokes? Will this work, or will I need the bladed spokes for strength?

I was thinking 105 brakes. I always thought roadie brakes like the 105 were better than the canti/CX brakes on my Jake, but the Kinesis guy says its the other way around. :tongue::wacko:

Other options I'm considering: Hope BB, Hope Headset, possibly the Tiagra Chainset again - will that work with 105 brakes? Or would I need 105 hoods? I will be installing mudguards and rack too, plus the usual bottle cage :biggrin:

RedBike

I've always found caliper brakes to be better than cantis. However, I don't think you can get 35mm tyres to fit with calipers.

Bikes to look at are probably the kaffenbak and roadrat

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
RedBike said:
I've always found caliper brakes to be better than cantis. However, I don't think you can get 35mm tyres to fit with calipers.

Bikes to look at are probably the kaffenbak and roadrat

Trouble is I have half the bits in spares already.. seems wise to use them. All I really need is to sort out a frame/fork, brakes, levers, handlebars.

Fair enough on the tyre size - good point. I've never used calipers before so didnt know how much clearance they have. I have been told a few peeps have used 28s easily. :biggrin:

Have heard good stuff about the roadrat though.

RedBike

Both the roadrat and the kaffenbak are available as frame only.
28s will easily work with calipers, you might get 30mm to fit but 32/35s pre
Probably too wide.

RedBike

Both the roadrat and the kaffenbak are available as frame only.
28s will easily work with calipers, you might get 30mm to fit but 32/35s are probably too wide.

I've had a custom build racelite t for about 5 years, used it for winter club runs & reliablities, audax and credit card touring and been very happy with it. Don't see why you'd need wider than 28mm tyres unless you want to ride rough trails. Don't forget you'll need deep drop bake calipers to clear the mudguards.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just spoke to the LBS today and he's said Kinesis frames are superb, but like gold dust. He said they dont make enough and they've always struggled to get them in. :wahhey:

I might have another think if I cant get hold of one.

downfader said:
Just spoke to the LBS today and he's said Kinesis frames are superb, but like gold dust. He said they dont make enough and they've always struggled to get them in. :wahhey:

I might have another think if I cant get hold of one.
When I was after a Kinesis, I was told the same and quoted over the odds. I was told however to try their main dealer, things moved a lot faster. It did however involve a 100mile (50 there and back) trip to a not so lbs.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
HLaB said:
When I was after a Kinesis, I was told the same and quoted over the odds. I was told however to try their main dealer, things moved a lot faster. It did however involve a 100mile (50 there and back) trip to a not so lbs.

I notice Chain Reaction have a load listed. Hmm GA Cycles is listed on their site as a "premier dealer". Might pop in there tomorrow and ask the guy, he's pretty clued up.

gavintc

Guru
The 105 brakes will not fit, you need the deep drop ones to fit this frame. Nice frame and as it is not that common, it gives it a bit of exclusiveness. I like mine.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
gavintc said:
The 105 brakes will not fit, you need the deep drop ones to fit this frame. Nice frame and as it is not that common, it gives it a bit of exclusiveness. I like mine.

I'll have a look around at the brakes, cheers. I thought there were deep drop 105s like with the new Ultegra. If not then I'll go with a non shimano.

downfader said:
I'll have a look around at the brakes, cheers. I thought there were deep drop 105s like with the new Ultegra. If not then I'll go with a non shimano.

I've got some shimano non series long drop which are 105 quality, work fine.

Top Bottom