cutting outer gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
These are gear cable outers, but the metal parts are 'spiral' rather than 'parallel' if i understand the distinction you're making.
If the "metal parts" look spiral, the outer is for a brake cable: "this is [NOT] a gear cable outer". The effect of such misuse will be poor shifting up the smaller sprockets.
Brake cable outer is typically 4.9mm diameter: gear cable outer is 4.1mm diameter. HTH
And as @T4tomo says: "you do need a a decent loop at the rear derailleur". For 'guidance' I (by eye) have a semi-circle diameter 90mm (have just measured 3 and taken average!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot to digest here but i'm midway between having a tooth extracted and buying a new car! I'll reply in more detail later, but here is a pic of the old gear cable and the new gear cable. Both ODs are approx 4.3mm; the new (Shimano) cable is slightly smaller and AFAICS spiral.

Attachments

• Shimano.jpg
    Shimano.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 26

C R

Guru
Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot to digest here but i'm midway between having a tooth extracted and buying a new car! I'll reply in more detail later, but here is a pic of the old gear cable and the new gear cable. Both ODs are approx 4.3mm; the new (Shimano) cable is slightly smaller and AFAICS spiral.

Just because it is in Shimano branded packaging it doesn't mean that it is Shimano, there's a lot of counterfeit stuff about, specially consumables. I can't see any part number in the label, which isn't a good sign.

faster

Über Member
Side cutters, been using them all my life, if it ain't broke.......

Same here. I've never understood all the fuss about getting dedicated cable cutters.

It's certainly not "the only way to do it properly".

A decent pair of side cutters does the job just fine. Probably not a great deal cheaper than the dedicated Park tool for a good pair, but more useful.

Gillstay

Über Member
I use top quality Felco multipurpose cutters as they also do a range of other jobs and are superbly made.

The guarantee is worth a lot as well.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Just because it is in Shimano branded packaging it doesn't mean that it is Shimano, there's a lot of counterfeit stuff about, specially consumables. I can't see any part number in the label, which isn't a good sign.
I think you're spot on. I didn't examine the packaging properly and it's not the same as on the amazon webpage that i bought it from.

I bought this

1.jpg

And received this (if it's even genuine, which i doubt)

2.jpg

Which is 2.99 in Cycle Store at the moment. B******s! I'm returning what's left of the set to Amazon

Having said all that, it's not causing the problem with my shifting; it was showing the same symptoms before i fitted this cheap rubbish.

C R

Guru
I think you're spot on. I didn't examine the packaging properly and it's not the same as on the amazon webpage that i bought it from.

I bought this

View attachment 704686
And received this (if it's even genuine, which i doubt)

View attachment 704687

Which is 2.99 in Cycle Store at the moment. B******s! I'm returning what's left of the set to Amazon

Having said all that, it's not causing the problem with my shifting; it was showing the same symptoms before i fitted this cheap rubbish.

Both amazon marketplace and the bay are notorious for counterfeit stuff. I got stung on the bay with a fake shimano chain that rusted badly after the first wet ride. When I went to complain about the seller they had already packed up and closed shop.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
This is the first definite one for me from Amazon. I guess i've become complacent over the years with them whereas i'm far more careful with ebay after a few hookey items. At least this was 'supplied by Amazon' and they are happy to take back what's left for a full refund.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
This is the first definite one for me from Amazon. I guess i've become complacent over the years with them whereas i'm far more careful with ebay after a few hookey items. At least this was 'supplied by Amazon' and they are happy to take back what's left for a full refund.

Hopefully the store gets a good smackdown.

Top Bottom