cutting outer gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
How do i do it? I've got the proper cutters that cut through fine, but scrunch the outer cable. I've tried other cutters - they do exactly the same. I can't seem to saw through with a hacksaw and the old 'trick' of using an old piece of inner inserted doesn't work either: i can barley move the new inner wire through the new 'clean' hole. Given i'm doing all this because i want to minimise any friction that may be causing a problem with shifting, i'm really feeling very frustrated. I don't own a Dremel. There must be a way, what is it please?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I used the park tools cutters and they cut gear outer fine. What do you mean by scratching, got a photo?

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
How do i do it? I've got the proper cutters that cut through fine, but scrunch the outer cable. I've tried other cutters - they do exactly the same. I can't seem to saw through with a hacksaw and the old 'trick' of using an old piece of inner inserted doesn't work either: i can barley move the new inner wire through the new 'clean' hole. Given i'm doing all this because i want to minimise any friction that may be causing a problem with shifting, i'm really feeling very frustrated. I don't own a Dremel. There must be a way, what is it please?

file the end with a metal file until the scrunched bit has gone and jobs a good un. You can also use a point or bradawl to smooth it out a bit

Edit to say normally only necessary with the spirally brake cables where you have to cut across a spiral, gear cables tends to cut clean.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I use these (link for illustration only): https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b0s496p46141/Draper_Cable_Cutters
These do not 'squash' a brake cable outer and if they do squash a gear cable outer (a bit) apply gentle pressure on the long diameter to return it to 'round'.
Plus once cut cleanly, a poke with a safety pin (as Tomo's 'bradawl') to open the 'ole (normally required).
Cut brake cable outers may need file attention, or another go, so always do the first cut a cm long in case.

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
The usual cutters normally work for me. However, I seem to remember a problem in the distant past where I finally got a clean cut by laying the cable on an anvil (secure it with gaffer tape) and severing it with a cold chisel struck with a heavy hammer. Cut was as clean as a whistle.

Big John

Guru
Park cable cutters do gear outer without having to fanny about with a bradawl or metal file (or the electric grinding wheel if you have one) but the brake outer cable is thicker and more problematic. The cutters 'cut' ok but it still needs a bit work with the grinder and bradawl. I'm not necessarily a Park Tools groupie but the cutters are bloody good and last for donkeys years - in my case anyway.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Those are exactly the ones i use! Are the Park ones better? They look remarkably similar and are quite a lot of money for a job i do so very seldom. In the end i managed to twist some old brake cable into the gear outer and cutting through the two together gave me a fairly clean cut. I cut another length using a a diamond blade on my angle grinder. The inner sheath melted a bit so i gouged it out with a small drill.

The good news is that all this - including a new inner sheath for the internally routed bit and a new RH shifter - did nothing whatsoever to solve the gear changing problem i have. I can change up fine but changing down is a nightmare, with imprecise and slipping gears. I assumed the cable must be dragging somehow, but that seems very unlikely now. Anyone recommend a repairer in the Guildford area? I must say i've found Evans pretty helpful in the past.

BTW Thanks for the replies. I missed a few; for some reason they didn't show up first time.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I don't think that how ever good the cable cutters are they would cut the outers without sqashing it a bit.
Use a bradle or other sharp ended tool to open the end up once cut.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If you have a spare piece of inner cable, thread that down to where you're cutting the outer to see if it helps the outer retain a bit of shape.

+1 for the Draper cable cutter mentioned.

Another method is to use a mini angle grinder with a 1mm cutting disc installed. Mind you, if you don't already have one, suppose it's not worth getting for just one job. I use them a lot, have four in fact, love the smell of napalm grinding sparks in the morning :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Those [Drapers] are exactly the ones i use! Are the Park ones better? They look remarkably similar and are quite a lot of money for a job i do so very seldom.
Park v Draper: no idea but they're both blue (afaik). The Drapers will do me for life. Anyone who thinks that they'll occasionally want to replace gear and/or brake cables on any of their bikes over the years should have an effective cable cutter.
One use (replacing gear cables and outers) will pay for them cf your LBS labour charge plus cost/effort/time/hassle of getting the bike there and back.
Not having some deters the replacement (scheduled or necessary) of cable outers, which is often 'the issue' (gear cables).
After allen keys and flat and cross blade screwdrivers, I'd say this was the next most useful tool.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom