When to Replace Gear Cable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When it starts to get dodgy shifting or snaps. I've had cables never fail after several years and I've had others fail often; there's no pattern to it.

C R

Guru
The cable for the rear shifter in my road bike snapped after about 5000 miles the year before last. Luckily for me the nipple came out easily and replacing the cable was easy. Now I replace the shifter cables every year, before they have a chance to snap.

I think I've seen a shimano document that suggests replacing the cables every 2000 miles.

Domus

Guru
Only ever had one break, bizarrely it was on the work stand after a dirty day on the bike. It broke in the shifter and was a pain to get the end out. I changed the rear cable just before my week in France with the Fridays as a precaution.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If it is fraying in the shifter you should notice the shifting getting less slick. The angles in the "exit under the bar tape" shifters make them prone to that. The old flight deck washing line style shifters were much kinder to cables as are bar end and friction shifters.

I tend to do it if I'm changing bar tape etc, because cables are cheap as chips so whilst you've striped the bar tape off you might as well change gear and brake cables (not hoses).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes I have "drops" bar tape on our bikes that have the relevant shifters, and the top layer peels a bit after while so probably change that every couple of years, although we do a lot les miles that you and spread over different bikes.

It was before I put drops tape on the OH's bike that her Tiagra shifters had chewed a cable, the black stock bar tape had lasted too long dammit!

C R

Guru
If it is fraying in the shifter you should notice the shifting getting less slick. The angles in the "exit under the bar tape" shifters make them prone to that. The old flight deck washing line style shifters were much kinder to cables as are bar end and friction shifters.

I tend to do it if I'm changing bar tape etc, because cables are cheap as chips so whilst you've striped the bar tape off you might as well change gear and brake cables (not hoses).

My Sora 9 speed was shifting flawlessly up to the point when it snapped mid ride.

Edited to clarify that it was the cable that snapped.

Last edited:
Never had one snap and I only change the cables if I'm changing the stem or something and can't leave the old ones in place.
Obviously I'd change it if it was fraying - but never seen that either.

Top Bottom