Cutting the steering post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ps what's the brand of tyre Im looking for clinchers in that style bike , tart that I am
no clues there at all.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:
1628065404898.png

1628065417415.png

panaracer gravelkings also worth looking at, they do a range of tread patters from slick to full on mud and a range of widths. the Plus / + version has the best protection from puncture fairy

Venod

Eh up
Lovely looking bike , how many spacers did it originally come with ? Ps what's the brand of tyre Im looking for clinchers in that style bike , tart that I am the

I can't remember the number of spaces, but it was too many for me.

The tyres and rims are the originals, the tyres are WTB Exposure 30mm running tubeless, unfortunately I can't recommend them as tubeless as the side walls were very porous, I complained to WTB and sent them pics of bubbles blowing out of the sidewall, they sent me some replacement non tan walls FOC very quickly these held air better but the tread delaminated, so I would be reluctant to recommend WTB at all, but other people rate them.

I have replaced the wheels with some Mavic Open Pro with Novatec hubs which are much lighter, I am running Panaracer Gravel King Slicks tubeless (they are not gravel tyres) 32mm these are a much better tyre IMO, they are fine at 50 to 60 psi, I weigh 70kg.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I would be reluctant to recommend WTB at all, but other people rate them.
I used to have some WTB cross boss and whilst they road fine, the tread was slightly wonky on the carcass in a couple of places - and yes I checked and re-seated them a couple of times but it was a wonky tread not a seating issue) , so I could see (although not feel) a wobble as you rode them. Drove my OCD mad! I bought them on sale at a decent discount and hadn't fitted for a while as i didnt need to so couldnt return them, so they are sat in the shed a emergency spares!

I swapped to some Panaracer gravel king SK + 's in tan wall and they ride much better.

I don't do tubeless.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yeah totally agree with you on that , it's funny but the bit of stem sticking out the top was starting to really irk me

Those of us who stick with quill stems don't have these sort of problems. We just get an allen key, loosen the bolt, adjust the height then tighten it up again. When you cut a steerer you are destroying the adjustability of the bike and reducing it's resale value because it might not suit another rider to have the bars low, so they won't be in the market to buy your bike when you want to sell it. You will have a very limited pool of potential buyers. The bike manufacturers are taking you all for mugs with these steerers.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Those of us who stick with quill stems don't have these sort of problems. We just get an allen key, loosen the bolt, adjust the height then tighten it up again. When you cut a steerer you are destroying the adjustability of the bike and reducing it's resale value because it might not suit another rider to have the bars low, so they won't be in the market to buy your bike when you want to sell it. You will have a very limited pool of potential buyers. The bike manufacturers are taking you all for mugs with these steerers.
you dont need to worry about resale value john.......

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!

Sell a bike... sorry what? lol

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Be the last bike I own mate

Top Bottom