Cutting Up Expensive Carbon Bikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
I have seen this video and its sort of intriguing but also heard from my LBS that cervelo wants them to cut out the BB from old and damaged bikes

U

User33236

I was left with a crashed bike to get ride of after insurance paid out and, after stripping off all the parts, cut the frame up prior to putting it in the bin. Partly to ensure it could not be reused but mostly out of curiosity. Must admit I was surprised at how thin some sections of a frame are.

DanZac

Im not usually a H&S botherer but as someone that works with composite materials please be very very careful if your going to cut or abrade carbon fiber.
The fibers break down into minute razor sharp bits that are easily injested and could cause you big problems in later life.
In my opinion cutting CF in a home enviroment is not worth the risk. Other than that enjoy the film. Looks pretty cool and its cleaver stuff.

U

User33236

Im not usually a H&S botherer but as someone that works with composite materials please be very very careful if your going to cut or abrade carbon fiber.
The fibers break down into minute razor sharp bits that are easily injested and could cause you big problems in later life.
In my opinion cutting CF in a home enviroment is not worth the risk. Other than that enjoy the film. Looks pretty cool and its cleaver stuff.
Had appropriate PPE on when I cut my frame up ^_^

hatler

Guru

Very droll. Was that intentional ?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

And any electrical stuff nearby will probably go bang as the carbon fibres cause shorts when they get inside

I used to work for a company that wove carbon fibre for F1 and stuff like that. The workstations on the factory floor had to be encased in plastic and even then they went pop on a regular basis

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The above carbon expert has an extraction system under his table (the holes) and wore PPE.

HSE people stand down :boxing:

Top Bottom