CX Brake Upgrade Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exile

Recently purchased the Boardman CX Comp and am getting on swimmingly with it. Comfy, sturdy enough for the less-than-smooth roads around Manchester, and perfect for both on the roads commuting and smashing it along tow-paths and even getting in some time on the MTB trails.

Only issue I'm having is the brakes are some of the most fickle things I've ever dealt with. The Tektro Lyra brakes seem to need constant tweaking and adjustment, sometimes after a single commute. I'm getting to my wits end with them, and have decided to look in to alternative options. So far, I'm considering three possible replacements: TRP Spire's, Avid BB7's, TRP HY/RD's.

I have three questions: Are the HY/RD's worth the extra cash over the other two? If not, which of the other options would be the best? Are they any alternatives I've missed?

Or is the constant tweaking and fettling just part and parcel of the disc brake experience?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Mechanical discs will need adjustment as he pads wear, hydraulic systems adjust themselves.

However, once a mechanical disc is set up correctly, it should be a very simple adjustment and take seconds just like a rim brake.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have the spyres (mechanical) and they are outstanding and easy to set up

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The reviews on the Boardman seem to be good but there is a lot of mention of the brakes and subsequent upgrade. That was the very thing putting me off the Boardman as I liked the rest of it and figured that if I was going to spend more money upgrading the brakes, that I might as well buy something else and slightly enlarge my budget.

addman100

Guru
I upgraded my the bb5's on my boardman for bb7's and there was a huge difference. The ability to adjust the calipers on each side compared to just one side on the bb5's is a big advantage.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've got the same dilema with my Cannondale CAADX and its Promax brakes. The Spyres seem well regarded.
I got rid of the promax brakes without even using them......the spyres are really good

OP
OP
E

Exile

Cheers all for the input, I think come next month I'll see what's in the pay packet and go from there :thumbsup:.

Top Bottom