CX sale bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Picking up my new road bike on Sunday and I'm more excited now than I was as an 8 year old anticipating Father Christmas bringing me my shiny new Raleigh Burner...it's not seemly in a man of my age! However, due to various factors that I won't bore you with, I'm also already looking at my n+1 options...this can't be a good sign for my finances long-term?!
So, just wondered, is there a good time of year generally to pick up a bargain CX bike? Would it be around August /Sep when the manufacturers unveil their new range?
Better looking at mint condition 2nd hand stuff on ebay overall perhaps?

Thanks, Andy

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Valid arguments for both of those options I would suspect.

Halfords do promotions on & off on the Boardman range & I would really like a Boardman CX Team...

but then I would like 5 or 6 more bikes too.

Got my road bike in October last year, just as the 2015 models started to appear & bagged a healthy discount.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think you have more chance of a bargain later in the year when they are trying to get rid of the leftover 2015 Stock before they release the nw models.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends what bike you want and how much you are spending. Some start cheaper in the first place for a better spec

Paulscycles often have good deals on older Cannondale models

None of my bikes were end of line bargains, two were used, one was a 'bespoke' built and one was built by a friend from parts I sourced

Off the peg doesn't really interest me nowadays

Nebulous

Guru
If you are interested in Edinburgh bike own brand stuff then they generally do 15% off sales a couple of times a year. Then at the end of the year they will discount them further if they have any stock left.

ayceejay

Guru
If you are talking about a cyclo cross bike rather than a market conscious 'CX' bike now would be a good time since the racing season has just ended.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I would really like a Boardman CX Team...
Me too :okay:

Actually, I'd really like one of these - http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/decade/tripster-atr
Or one of these - http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-i-ve-started-so-i-ll-finish.html#product_tabs2

But having just blown close to £1,500 on my roadie plus kit for it I'm going to have to look for something sub £1,000 for the cyclocross, and the Boardman seems like one of the best spec options in this price range. Plus it looks mighty fine.

If you are talking about a cyclo cross bike rather than a market conscious 'CX' bike now would be a good time since the racing season has just ended
Given my price range and the fact that I'll be using it as a winter commuter with guards etc I guess I'm looking at the latter, rather than a 'proper' racing CX. Though I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have of places to look for either type.

I think you have more chance of a bargain later in the year when they are trying to get rid of the leftover 2015 Stock before they release the nw models.
That's what I suspected. Thanks.

Paulscycles often have good deals

Cheers, I'll check both those out :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
What's your new bike? Can't you use it in winter?

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
What's your new bike? Can't you use it in winter?
I bought the Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10 that my brother messaged you for advice about earlier this year. Can't wait to pick it up this weekend! I could use it in winter (indeed it would take guards and wider tyres etc no probs), and I'm sure a lot of plastic bike riders would see it more as a winter bike anyway. But I just think it's so pretty! So I'm planning on not despoiling it with guards and rack and only riding it in the dry.
I mean come on, look at it - who wants to run that beauty through salt and mud and rain?!
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-disc/equilibrium-disc-10

Top Bottom