Cycle 12 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
snorri said:
Oh! and just a friendly warning there bobby, panter is a bloke;):biggrin:

This is getting to be the equivalent of "Oh! Arch is a girl!":biggrin:

Bobby, punkypossum has summed it up pretty well on suspension and tyres. Imagine the difference between walking a mile, and doing that mile on a pogostick carrying a rucksack with bricks in it.

Also, knobbly tyres, designed to grip in mud give you less traction on the tarmac (less actual tyre in contact with the road). Also they tend to be inflated to lower pressures, making them wallow-y. So at the same time, they act like glue slowing you down, but fail to stick so well. Like elderly blu-tak...

God, I'm full of analogies today aren't I?

Blonde

My flattish 13 mile urban commute with about 41 sets of traffic lights/pedestrian crossings takes about 45 minutes give or take five minutes. I'd allow an hour just in case anything delays you - such as a puncture, heavy traffic, loads of traffic lights on red etc. A more rural commute wouldn't not take so long as you wouldn't be stopping so much, if at all. Dont forget to allow ten minutes at the other end to shower or wash/wipe down and get changed etc.

A word of warning - don't start off trying to commute 12 miles straightaway. And don't think of doing the return trip on your first occasion. Practise on the commute at the weekends first and build up to it. Otherwise, you'll do a 12 mile route at the weekend, think that commuting is a doddle, have a nightmare day and it will put you off for life.

OP
OP
B

bobby

Hello All,

thanks for your advice! So the bike in my previous post should do the job?

Cheers

Bobby

Tynan

Veteran
bobby said:
Hello,

Thanks all!

At the moment just want to commute, so may be
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...rumb_33980-33957-31319_parentcategoryrn_60956

Cheers!

Bobby

umm yes, usual advice is spent as much as you can afford, let's leave price there

get them to put the thinnest slickest tyres that;ll fit, makes a huge difference

and you'll really want mudguards at this time of year, and think about clothing, some sort of waterproofish top at this time of year as a minimum

maybe use a proper bike shop if you have one although I doubt they can match the price you'll probably end up with a better bike and an awful lot more advice and support which you might need early on

Daniel B

bobby said:
Hello All,

thanks for your advice! So the bike in my previous post should do the job?

Cheers

Bobby

If you can go into a store to confirm the sizing is correct, then you might want to try and order online.
I am 5ft 10/11 with a 35" inside leg, and I have a 20" frame.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...rumb_33980-33957-31319_parentcategoryrn_60956

Reduced from £330 to £247, there is a code on the front page for £25 off, and then another code for 10% off, but you do have to pay around £9.99 delivery, but for another £40 your getting a fair bit more bike me thinks.

I £207.73 inc delivery, and looks like you also get a £10 voucher sent to you to spend in store, so techincally could end up costing you £197.73!

Incidentally, I have a subway one, and it does my commuting job nicely.

Dan

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
A word of warning - don't start off trying to commute 12 miles straightaway. And don't think of doing the return trip on your first occasion. Practise on the commute at the weekends first and build up to it. Otherwise, you'll do a 12 mile route at the weekend, think that commuting is a doddle, have a nightmare day and it will put you off for life.

Yeah, it can be good to only ride one way (if you can leave the bike locked up somewhere securely overnight) - ride in, come home on bus or train, go in next day on bus/train, ride home.

Or do both ways and then have the next day 'off' and travel by bus/train...

You'll soon build up to feeling fine about doing both ways every day.

OP
OP
B

bobby

Hello All,

thanks for the advice. I went into halfords and looked at the subway 1 and 2. I was told that two was much better as the wheels were reinforced more and it had break pads. The commute will be 24 miles per day.

Any input into these bikes?

thanks alot

bobby

buggi

Bird Saviour
"It has Brake pads" ????? LOL, i should feckin hope so!

Bobby, normal V brakes should do you fine. the Halfords monkey's don't know what they are talking about. probably the Subway 2 is more expensive i bet.

Subways are fine but, if the reason you're put off road bikes is because of the curly handle bars, have you thought about buying a road bike and having straight handlebars put on? basically, the lighter the bike and the thinner and slicker (no tread) the tyres are, the easier it is going to be to ride. Don't be afraid of slick tyres. they grip the road much better than knobbly ones as there is more rubber in contact with the tarmac.

once you have your bike, ride the distance at the weekend to see how much time it takes. we are all different when we first start to ride. and the bike makes a difference. my road bike i can do my commute in 1 hour, but on my mountain type bike (knobbly tyres) it takes an extra 25 mins.

ps. if you don't know LBS means local bike shop. the guys in Halfrauds are monkey's.

pps. it's tiring at first but give yourself a couple of weeks and you'll be flying. as suggested, you might want to take it in turns with public transport for the first few weeks until you get your fitness levels up.

ppps. welcome too!

yenrod

God dammit - 12mls in 5.5hrs: ive done 100mls on my own in that time..with my brain as the camera, the lights as the 'pootle', and a flapjack a food...

Arch said:
As everyone says, there are loads of variables. I did about 12 miles yesterday, took about five and a half hours, but that includes pootling, stopping to look at an old windmill, taking a lot of photos, and a pub lunch...

But if I'd had to ride 12 miles direct, I reckon, with a favourable wind (or no wind) and relatively flat, then I might manage it in an hour or so.

Main thing, if you're hoping to do it regularly, like on a commute, is to allow plenty of time to start with, so that you're not running out of time and having to flog yourself and ending up discouraged and knackered. The more you do it, the quicker you'll get.

alfablue

Bobby, either the Subway 1 or Subway 2 will be ideal for commuting, get the 2 if you can afford it, but Disc Brakes alone are not that important to have. Make sure it fits, and has been stated elsewhere, get helmet (if you agree with them) D-Lock, mudguards, warm gloves (fingers get very cold), jacket for winter commuting, good lights, pump, puncture kit and tyre levers. I think you will get a discount on accessories if you buy a bike from Halfords. Halfords don't have the best rep for setting bikes up, so be prepared to take it back if anything doesn't seem right and make them sort it (or learn how to sort it yourself).

postman

Legendary Member
While reading all the great advice given out to our newbie.I thought what a good idea a cycling buddie would be .A person to accompany a first timer to the shops so they are not fobbed off with a bike that's not right for them.

Top Bottom