Cycle 12 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not that bike!!!! :biggrin: If you want something mountain bikey, but ride it mainly on roads, have a look at the carrera subway from hellfords, the basic one starts at £199, but there is always odd discounts and sales, so you can probably save some more. It's basically classified as an urban mountain bike, you get a mtb style frame, but with rigid forks and semi-slick tyres for road riding. Gets really good reviews and a lot of people are very happy with theirs. Don't go for cheap full suspension, you might as well commute on a pogo stick! (I'm only a beginner myself, but that particularly lesson has well and truly sunk in!!!)

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I've found that the only real (if any) suspension you need on a Hybrid / MTB is seat post suspension,and even that needs faffing about with. Luckily for me my MTB with suspension forks was stolen, not crying too much as it was a relatively cheapo piece of kit.
The best suspension you can have on your bike is your arms and legs, if you see a bump as you are going downhill just raise your weight off the saddle and you will glide over it.

Mortiroloboy

punkypossum said:
Not that bike!!!! :biggrin: If you want something mountain bikey, but ride it mainly on roads, have a look at the carrera subway from hellfords, the basic one starts at £199, but there is always odd discounts and sales, so you can probably save some more. It's basically classified as an urban mountain bike, you get a mtb style frame, but with rigid forks and semi-slick tyres for road riding. Gets really good reviews and a lot of people are very happy with theirs. Don't go for cheap full suspension, you might as well commute on a pogo stick! (I'm only a beginner myself, but that particularly lesson has well and truly sunk in!!!)

Ditto- the subway 1 is an ideal bike for your commute, my girls have one each and they are perfectly happy on the towpath or the road, good solid machine, nicely understated so not so attractive to thieves.

Just don't let the Halfords monkey set it up for you LOL!! get a good bicycle repair book and do it yourself, or get your LBS to give it the once over, OTOH you may be lucky, your local Halfords may even have a halfway decent mechanic in store who knows his bottom bracket from his steerer tube!

Christopher

Über Member
bobby
Are you aware that you can get free cycle maps for all of London from TFL (Transport for London)? They will even post them to you, as long as you live in London.
Failing that most LBSs should have a few of the local area...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just to second (third? fourth?) the 'you don't need suspension' replies. Too much suspension and knobbly tyres will make it harder to ride, and sap your energy. Think of the difference between running on hard sand and soft sand on a beach - it's much easier and faster on hard.

Ideally a commuting bike (for me, anyway) ought to have fairly slick tyres, no suspension, mudguards, to cut down on the spray both onto yourself and onto anyone behind you, and a rack, so that you can carry what you need to off your back. But plenty of people manage without these, and use a rucksack or courier bag.

Also, if you are budgeting a certain amount of outlay on a bike, bear in mind the extras you'll need

Lock. A good one, like a D-lock. A rule of thumb is to spend 10% of the value of the bike on a lock.

Pump/puncture repair kit/spare tube. If you don't carry them, you're guaranteed to need them.:biggrin: (Acting on this principle, I carry about half my bodyweight in 'essentials' to ward off the evil eye, but I'm a bit of an extreme...)

Perhaps a suitable waterproof and breathable jacket. Hi-vis or not is up to you, but a jacket that fits right and isn't too stuffy really helps.

If you haven't cycled on the roads for a while, buy or borrow a copy of Cyclecraft, by John Franklin. This book is the how-to bible of modern transport cycling, telling you all about how to claim your space on the road, maximise your safety, deal with hazards etc. Many of us think it should be compulsory reading! And to go with it, perhaps, a copy of the new Highway Code edition (or look online).

And if you choose to, a helmet. Again, debatable and there isn't room to go into it all here, but if you get one, make sure it fits properly and you know how it should be worn. Seriously, you'd be amazed at the number you see worn backwards...

Once you get hooked (no ifs!), there's padded this, hi-tech that, upgrades...:biggrin: But it's quite possible to commute a decent distance in ordinary clothes, so don't feel you have to have 'all the gear'.

And enjoy it! Might be a good idea to do a couple of trial runs, at the weekend to familiarise yourself with the route when you have plenty of time. Not just so that you don't get lost, but also to identify tricky junctions, bad potholes etc.

And you can always ask us lot about stuff - here or in 'commuting'. We're mostly friendly, and we love to see another bod on a bike!:biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Does your employer run/could be talked into running a cycle to work scheme where you get a tax break on a bike and accessories?

Its a good scheme and could see you with very good kit at almost half of the retail price :biggrin:

Oh, and welcome to the forum :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bobby

Thanks to all of you for the help!

Hello,

Thanks to all of you for the help!

Any good shops I should look in?

So no suspension for road cycling?

Frustruck - thanks the maps did help!

Panter - Only a few cycle in the firm! Do you cycle from Kent to
London?

Cheers

Bobby

ash68

hello Bobby, just adding my welcome to the long list you already have.:biggrin: Don't think you need any advice from me, the regulars seem to have you well sorted out.Only one point, don't forget some good bright lights if your cycling in the dark.Now get yourself a bike and get pedalling;)

OP
OP
B

bobby

Hello all and once again thanks!

Can some one explain why having road bike is better than a suspension (mountain) bike for commuting to work on via roads>

Sorry I really don't know alot about bikes :biggrin: (Yet)

Bobby

Suspension on cheap bikes doesn't work properly, you waste a lot of your energy bouncy up and down uncontrollably rather than going forward. Also, cheap suspension tends to be very heavy. The knobbly tyres on a mountain bike again slow you down a lot, so you don't really need them if you stay on the road. However, a mountain bike with slick tyres or a hybrid can make a great commuter bike (also means by putting the knobblies back on you can do some mountain biking if you fancy it and cannot afford two bikes). I have a mountain bike with front suspension only and use it for everything, if you do decide to go down that road, you are best off with a suspension fork that can be locked out at which point you are probably looking at around £400....

Top Bottom