Cycle alone or within others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wxbull

90% of the time on my own, but one good buddy that I go out with on average three times a month, its fine on your own, music on, stop where and when you want sorted

Generally I ride alone as that's half the point of cycling is to get away from annoying humans. Unless I'm racing, then the other riders represent objects to destroy (well back in my prime at least)...now it's more just an attempt to destroy, keep up, draft, at least not get in the way.

Bariton

I've only ever cycled alone. There is a CTC local to me and I have considered joining, but I don't think I can do the speed or the distance yet!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Me? I'm not great on my own. One part of my head keeps telling me that I should turn round and head home, whilst the other part tells me I'm going too slowly and need to speed up.

Ah - the "bail monkey" constantly trying to convince me to bail out of long rides: "You're so slow ... this ride will take forever. You're going too fast, you'll burn yourself out ... You think you're tired now ... there are hills ahead, they'll finish you off. Get out while you still have legs ... Turn left for the railway station."

So I never ride alone. I have all those voices in my head. I also have my inner DJ playing annoying tunes. Brown Girl in the Ring, la la-la la-la-la-la ... It's a proper party with me.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Ah - the "bail monkey" constantly trying to convince me to bail out of long rides: "You're so slow ... this ride will take forever. You're going too fast, you'll burn yourself out ... You think you're tired now ... there are hills ahead, they'll finish you off. Get out while you still have legs ... Turn left for the railway station."

So I never ride alone. I have all those voices in my head. I also have my inner DJ playing annoying tunes. Brown Girl in the Ring, la la-la la-la-la-la ... It's a proper party with me.
Mostly solo. Own pace, stop when you want to look at something, not if you don't. Group makes a nice change once in a while though.
Bold highlight is because for me that track would be added to the bail monkey column not the stay out riding column, I detest that song, not perhaps because it's intrinsically bad but I find it a terrible ear worm.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Mostly solo. Own pace, stop when you want to look at something, not if you don't. Group makes a nice change once in a while though.
Bold highlight is because for me that track would be added to the bail monkey column not the stay out riding column, I detest that song, not perhaps because it's intrinsically bad but I find it a terrible ear worm.
As told in Touching the Void, Joe Simpson had that as an earworm while dragging himself off Siula Grande. As if having a shattered leg and being hypothermic, dehydrated and starving wasn't enough...

Ciar

Veteran
Commuting solo, but on the MTB much more fun in a group just an overall better experience with friends, having a laugh stacking and generally acting like your 10 again :smile:

Redmamba

I like solo riding. Sometimes with a buddy or 2 but most times being alone on the road or trail helps me clear the mind

Top Bottom