Cycle alone or within others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I tend to do one week solo and one week group because of the way I see my boys.

Funny thing is the social ride for me tends to be a workout ride where I push myself harder and where I have seen the bigger fitness gains. Most of the social rides tend to be 30 miles but I have recently being doing some 50 milers and with a group of people it's so much easier.

That said my solo rides are where I can loose myself and forget the day to day rubbish going on in my head. Check out the country side take a break and pace myself at a comfortable level.

Each has its own benefits it is what you prefer that matters the main thing is your on your bike and not sat on your backside watching TV.
It's that 'Raleigh' feeling. :bicycle: :becool:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Mix of with a mate, and luckily we are pretty evenly matched and both like a bacon sandwich stop, or solo if If no ones around. plus the odd group ride, with is good for the social ride, but the waiting to regroup can be a pain.
Preference is a well matched duo or small group.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I also think group rides are more hazardous. There's always that added risk when riding in groups of tangling up with a fellow rider
Depends on the group. Some ride tight formation, but others are just groups riding like you should anyway, with safe stopping distance and so on. And if anything does go wrong, there's always another cyclist around to help :smile:

, and as a car driver I always feel very wary of overtaking a large group of cyclists especially round the twisty roads of Wales. I always give plenty of space and wait for the right time to pass groups ,but could easily imagine some none sympathetic driver not having the patience to wait very long and barge though the group.
If they do, one of the group may have it on camera and there's more of us to throw pumps and bottles at them ;)

rockpig

Über Member
Another loner here. It's my chance to switch off from everything else and go at my own pace.
Having said that I wouldn't mind trying a smallish group ride to see how it goes. In my head I have a vision of being the slowest member of the group and struggling to keep up.

Katherine

Guru
Another loner here. It's my chance to switch off from everything else and go at my own pace.
Having said that I wouldn't mind trying a smallish group ride to see how it goes. In my head I have a vision of being the slowest member of the group and struggling to keep up.
We all start off that way. It's riding with a group that made me push myself to go a bit faster or to keep going for longer. Then I was the one that raced on the descents and lagged on the hills, now I can ride a bit more consistently. I'd never stopped at a cafe or pub before riding with a group either.

Mostly alone now. Sometimes lead a club group out on a weeknight.

Since the Sunday club run has started chasing higher averages, I've stopped (other reasons too) going in them. Several ladies have also stopped coming out on Sundays unless they know there will be 2 or 3 groups for definite.

mjr

Friendly freewheeling groups love having new riders like you turn up. We ain't riding the tour de France and usually if we go a bit slower then it mainly means more time to enjoy the views, so don't feel you have to sprint and struggle that way. I mean, take it sensible, check that the group travels at a speed near yours (ask if they don't say) and step up the distances, (rather than turn up for the first time at a century ride and give the tail enders kittens), but it's usually great for a group to meet more riders.

Stevec047

Über Member
Today was a great mix of both solo riding and riding with groups of people.

Having just complete the Holmes and Hills charity 53 mile ride I realised that I had whilst keeping to my own pace joined and passed large groups of riders been dropped by others and natter with smaller groups of people today and at the same time large chunks of the time I was riding solo not a care in the world.

ACS

Legendary Member
Living in rural Fife, cyclist's are a rarer than hens teeth. Do a lot of miles commuting so solo riding is an everyday experience. Sometimes meet up with other commuters but this is purely chance encounters rather than by design.

I do like riding in company but I'm always conscious that I am probably holding them back, as I'm not the fastest Vet on 2 wheels. If I'm honest I think I prefer riding solo less pressure to keep on pace and impress.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I only really ever commute, so on my own nearly all the time. I think I'd enjoy getting out with others.

macp

Guru
Have done a lot of miles on my own and come to the conclusion I would really enjoy riding with a group but being billy no mates..... :scratch:

mjr

Have done a lot of miles on my own and come to the conclusion I would really enjoy riding with a group but being billy no mates..... :scratch:
You're in Cheshire? That area seems to be crawling with groups. Search farcebook, RideSocial, meetup, streetlife and so on until you find some... or if there's really none, post a few things asking if anyone near you is interested in starting a group :thumbsup:

Top Bottom