Cycle alone or within others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

When I'm training or doing muti day A-B rides/tours I prefer to ride alone but for big all-day rides and general riding I prefer to be with friends or clubmates with a nice cafe stop as the miles fly by and you can all pull each other along, mentally and physically.
It's worth looking into finding some people to ride with and then you can decide what you like. I started with my local club and I still ride with them 3 years on, riding with another club when I'm at uni and I've progressed hugely as a rider from club riding.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Mainly on my own, but sometimes with my wife or a friend or two.

Slick

Guru
I'm mostly solo but I do enjoy days out with family. I reckon I would like to cycle more in a group but confidence isn't all that high yet. Maybe next year.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I probably do over 95% of my riding alone but I really enjoy breaking it up with social rides. Apart from the meeting, the chatting, the coffee, there'll always be someone who's thought pretty carefully about the route, meaning that there'll be some scenery, some bit of route trivia, some bit of nonsense to make a ride satisfying and enjoyable, and you'll get to see places you might have to search for for ages otherwise.

Jimidh

Veteran
Generally during the week I cycle on my own, Saturdays I MTB with my son and Sunday morning it's club run time.

Enjoy them all equally.

Katherine

Guru
I like both. On my own I can stop whenever I like, slow down and speed up, take pictures, admire the view etc. But I also slow down too much sometimes or set off much later than I meant to. With other people, I enjoy the social side, stopping for refreshments together, discovering new routes, pushing that little bit faster, stopping less, going further, encouraging each other. But sometimes I want to go faster or slower than the pace of the group.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My preference is for solo, but I quite enjoy the occasional group ride too. Heads down chain ganging on a club ride does not appeal even a little bit though. When I say group ride, I prefer mixed ability groups where you can usually find someone (or a wee group within the group) who ride at similar pace. That reminds me, CC Ecosse; it's been a while!
I have a few local cycle buddies but they are speed freaks who treat each ride like a training session. That's not my thing - I don't mind doing the miles, but without breaking my neck (or legs, heart, or lungs!). I tend to avoid riding with them these days.

Roxy641

I mostly cycle on my own. Not so much that I choose this, more that I don't know anyone taking the same journey as me.

Top Bottom