Cycle alone or within others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I either cycle alone or with Jannie. We cycle at the same pace and dont mind stopping for snacks, a swim or photos. We can both ride over 100km with no problems at all, but dont mind short rides either.

It hard to find other riders who fit your riding style 100%.

Venod

Eh up
I have a few local cycle buddies but they are speed freaks who treat each ride like a training session. That's not my thing - I don't mind doing the miles, but without breaking my neck (or legs, heart, or lungs!). I tend to avoid riding with them these days.

Thats how the club cafe rides end up nowadays always chasing a high average speed, I dip my toe in now and again, but prefer alone most of the time, I like to take in a few off road tracks on the CX, I don't think the fast lads would appreciate this, I could go with the slower group but I might want to press on, you can see why I go alone!

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Fifty fifty, if a social group near me are going out I'll jump at the chance. If not then I'll ride alone, but I won't enjoy it as much and I won't manage to do the same distance.

On my own now. I ditched the friend when I moved house. Apart from his obsession with setting off earlier and earlier I'd had enough of the demons that surrounded him and his family.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mostly with a group, not because I'm gregarious, but because of circumstances.

It suits me to ride about once a week, usually on a Sunday.

I like to support my Sunday morning group, so will go with them, or I might be away on a forum ride.

I ride solo at other times occasionally, but often can't motivate myself because I think: "I'll be out on Sunday so will get my cycling in then."

johnnyb47

Guru
I mostly ride on my own. I do occasionally go out in a group. I feel happier riding on my own though ,because you can go at your own pace. I also think group rides are more hazardous. There's always that added risk when riding in groups of tangling up with a fellow rider

, and as a car driver I always feel very wary of overtaking a large group of cyclists especially round the twisty roads of Wales. I always give plenty of space and wait for the right time to pass groups ,but could easily imagine some none sympathetic driver not having the patience to wait very long and barge though the group.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Mainly on my own but that's as I don't know many cyclists other than the few fine people I've met through this site. Do enjoy cycling with others as the miles go quicker when the banter is flowing.

Stevec047

Über Member
I tend to do one week solo and one week group because of the way I see my boys.

Funny thing is the social ride for me tends to be a workout ride where I push myself harder and where I have seen the bigger fitness gains. Most of the social rides tend to be 30 miles but I have recently being doing some 50 milers and with a group of people it's so much easier.

That said my solo rides are where I can loose myself and forget the day to day rubbish going on in my head. Check out the country side take a break and pace myself at a comfortable level.

Each has its own benefits it is what you prefer that matters the main thing is your on your bike and not sat on your backside watching TV.

Top Bottom