Cycle and car cams and the law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Presumably the Police have to give you advance warning that they are nicking you on a speed-cam?

They publish the areas where they are going to be placing there mobile cameras over the next month or so and the static cameras have to be highly visible.

C R

Guru
I think it’s utter tosh, GDPR afaik, applies to organisations, who have to safeguard any data they hold, it doesn’t apply to individuals, also if you are outside in public you can film anything, and nobody can stop you, it’s not illegal to film.

In a nutshell, GDPR is meant to stop companies using your data for their own purposes without your consent. Reporting crime is a public good, nothing to do with data protection, it would be perverse if it was.

byegad

Legendary Member
On my car, apart from the cameras mounted in the front and rear screens, I have small signs warning I'm filming. I even have one in the right side rear door window.

My thinking being the combined visual 'hints' are a deterrent to rear bumper riders and those intent on crash for cash. Now if only I can find the invisibility cloak switch and turn it off I'd no longer have death seeking morons pulling out of junctions intent on testing my emergency braking technique.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I confirm that I understand that dashcam footage falls under the Category of CCTV and as the footage is taken in the public domain, the Domestic Purposes Exemption under the Data Protection Act/UKGDPR does not apply and therefore all users are Data Controllers in their own right. As such you should be informing the public that they are being filmed and should have some form of notification on your mode of transport as you have responsibilities under the Data Protection Act /UKGDPR

First I have heard of this - if enforced properly it would make all CCTV footage from cars and bike irrelevant

Anyone else heard of this or is it just one Police Force - or even one copper - going a bit overboard??

thanks

I, too, think this is an over-zealous interpretation of the rules.

If it were truly a legal obligation to display such a sign, the phrasing of the above notice would use ‘must’ and not ‘should’.

Possibly the officer is trying to reduce the volume of submissions.

DRM

Guru
In a nutshell, GDPR is meant to stop companies using your data for their own purposes without your consent. Reporting crime is a public good, nothing to do with data protection, it would be perverse if it was.

That’s right, I was trying to remember the training at work from last year, and in a nutshell it’s for businesses and organisations to take care of the data they hold, not individuals, I think someone in the police force involved needs retraining

DRM

Guru
I, too, think this is an over-zealous interpretation of the rules.

If it were truly a legal obligation to display such a sign, the phrasing of the above notice would use ‘must’ and not ‘should’.

Possibly the officer is trying to reduce the volume of submissions.

It’s amazing the amount of Police officers who get caught out making up laws, not following correct procedure, and lying to the public on camera, when dealing with auditors, who can quote the law chapter and verse back to the clueless plod who ends up looking stupid and doing the walk of shame

View: https://youtu.be/r3kPfmhTZxw

good example above

classic33

Leg End Member
Pick a UK police force that accepts helmet camera/dashcam footage and you'll find the same wording on their submission form. It's not confined to one police force.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It’s amazing the amount of Police officers who get caught out making up laws, not following correct procedure, and lying to the public on camera, when dealing with auditors, who can quote the law chapter and verse back to the clueless plod who ends up looking stupid and doing the walk of shame

View: https://youtu.be/r3kPfmhTZxw

good example above

Brilliant. At the start of the video the cop was adamant it was an offence and it didn’t take long to expose his ignorance but he kept digging. His type expect that the public will acquiesce to their questioning without challenge and do not like it one bit when someone, quite justifiably, does not comply.

Reeks of

882DE09B-3CEA-4AD3-9BE1-0335E0E3C7E9.jpeg

I’ve had the same when taking photos of architecture in the city centre and a cop demanded my details and place of employment. I had to spell out to him exactly what his powers were and why he couldn’t use them in that circumstance. He got quite aggressive in his attitude, getting toe to toe with me and suggesting I do as I was told, ‘or else’. He actually said, ”We can do this the easy way or the hard way.”

There was a recessed doorway in the adjacent building which he told me to get into. Yeah right, the one place that wasn’t covered by the cctv cameras! In the end he left with his tail between his legs and my subsequent complaint got me an apology from the police.

Fastpedaller

Some will cherry pick or even downright lie to make the narrative fit their objective - One I've heard of recently is the used car sellers who say "you can't see the full service history of the car because of GDPR". As a buyer I'd say "as far as I'm concerned there's no service history, and I'll price it to reflect that". I wonder if you are trading in whether they'd give the value of FSH if you said "GPPR prevents me showing it to you"? - I very much doubt it. :laugh:
Another example is the 'requirement' of annual PAT's testing voiced by those with a vested interest.

Top Bottom