Cycle around Japan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I enjoy it very much. I have often wondered if an English version would work. Not necessarily the road race bikes all the time however. There are many interesting things I see on my travels.

hiyo

@Andy in Germany @Oldhippy
I am sorry to hear that the word “Gaijin” made you and long-term foreign residents in Japan feel bad.
We should admit that, in a few cases, it is used when people insult or discriminate against foreign people.
But in most cases, it simply means “person/people from outside Japan”.

There are many people affectionately call foreign people “Gaijin-san”.
(“san” is the suffixes which shows respect. It is usually added to a person's name. If you are Mr. Smith, they call you “Smith- san” but when they don’t know your name, they call you “Gaijin-san”. )
I guess that the writer was often called “Gaijin-san” while she was cycling in Japan.
That’s why she used the word for the subtitle, I reckon. Still “Gaijin in Japan” sounds a bit weird though.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Every time I walked into my local rock bar the bar tender always exclaimed 'Ah Gaijin-da!' All in good humour.

united4ever

Über Member
Gaikokujin is the more polite form I believe. I have heard it translated as foreigner, outsider and alien. Had to carry my alien registration card everywhere when I lived there.

I don't think it matter so much for tourists or people living there for the short/medium term. I do feel bit sorry for those who settle there, speak well and read Kanji but will always be the Gaijin.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I was there 10 years and changed my wallet once and forgot to put my registration card in the new one. The Police box I had walked past countless times chose that one time ask to see it. Two hours later and having apologised profusely I carried on my way. Policeman very polite about though.

hiyo

Gaikokujin is the more polite form I believe. I have heard it translated as foreigner, outsider and alien. Had to carry my alien registration card everywhere when I lived there.

I don't think it matter so much for tourists or people living there for the short/medium term. I do feel bit sorry for those who settle there, speak well and read Kanji but will always be the Gaijin.

Yes, "Gaikokujin" sounds more polite.
It's good to know your opinion about the people who settled here as I've never thought about them. Thank you.

mustang1

Guru
Thanks for the info, it was useful to check that channel out as I also like Japan. Having said that, I found that channel to be too, uhm, what's the word... not niche enough for my tastes, too pop as in popular culture. With the corny music and the really happy narrator and not enough real content.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I've found all channels around the world aimed at the foreign audience tend to be in a similar vein but there is some excellent stuff on NHK Japan.

hiyo

Cycle Around Japan. Chichibu in Autumn.
Chichibu is located in the western part of Saitama prefecture.
Although it is less than 100 kilometers from central Tokyo, you can enjoy the scenery of the countryside.

616382 616383 616384

616385 616386 616387

Top Bottom