Cycle carrier .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
I've got a Thule 598 and it's spot on for what I need.

We carried three bikes using these on top from Cardiff to Anglesey, no problem.

We did take the bottle cage off the down tubes which made the loading of the bikes much easier.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
4x Thule 591 for me. Bought the full set up around 2005 and the cost was approx £300-350 from memory which felt like a lot at the time. Has been brilliant and the matched locks mean one key for the whole lot. Have used it on 3 cars with just a change of clamps.

View attachment 366301

EDIT: Cost has dwindled to insignificant when factoring the multi-vehicle usage over time rather than having to invest in new towbars or car specific set-up of a rear mount system. Also as kids (& kids bikes) have grown the 591 has coped with everything from a 14" wheeled mini-MTB with stabilisers right upto full size MTBs and my carbon all-road GT Grade with everything in between.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Sticking anything on the roof will have an effect on fuel efficiency.
Although I agree with not going roof mount & going tow bar it will also affect the fuel efficiency cars are designed to create a void behind the car (I think it is) which is why some cars have spoilers, they are not just for looks.

But as you also have a Tuscon think how high you are going to have to lift the bike to get it into the mounts, even a 15Kgs bike above your head is unwieldy

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Buy (or make your own)

bikes-on-roof-reminder-yellow-caution.png

and hang from mirror

Drago

Legendary Member
On most cars the rear spoiler is nothing to do with anything except styling.

If you have a trailer or a wally wagon then a tow bar has other uses. If you don't, it's an expensive addition with very limited utility. Roof bars can be used for all sorts of exciting and useful stuff.

Generally I'd favour tow bar mounts, but I wouldn't countenance having a tow bar fitted solely for for carrying bikes. However, if you already have one it's a no brainer.

D

Deleted member 26715

Rear spoilers are more to do with downforce. This wouldn't necessarily be affected by a towbar mounted rack.
On most cars the rear spoiler is nothing to do with anything except styling.
Sorry but I will have to disagree with both of you, by having the bike on the back of the Rav4 on a 300 mile motorway run set on cruise control at 65mph it affects the MPG by 2MPG, with carrier 55MPG, without 57MPG.

But I suspect that is far less than having it on the roof

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just an aside re the security of Thule carriers, I wouldn't leave the bike unattended without an extra lock of some sort. I've seen a video of a yoof extracting a bike from a roof mount (which I think was a Thule) in a matter of seconds.

Absolutely! My carrier has locks on the individual holders... but I still put a lock through the bikes to the carrier (which itself locks to the towbar).
A valid point. I also use secondary locks and even then if stopping at motorway services etc we stagger the trips to the loo so the car/bikes are not left unattended. It only takes one scumbag in a van to loose the entire fleet in seconds!

D

Deleted member 26715

Nobody said it wouldn't affect fuel efficiency. The posts you quote are pointing out is that rear spoilers aren't about fuel efficiency - but downforce or (as Drago quite rightly says) purely about styling.
Which again I dispute, some yes, but some are function over form, rather than form over function.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sorry but I will have to disagree with both of you, by having the bike on the back of the Rav4 on a 300 mile motorway run set on cruise control at 65mph it affects the MPG by 2MPG, with carrier 55MPG, without 57MPG.

But I suspect that is far less than having it on the roof

I find zero recordable difference between the bike on the roof or no bike at all. That's 0 MPG observed variance, on both of our cars. Nowt. Niet. Nada.

I think you may have misunderstood. I prefer towbar mounting, I just don't believe it's worth having a towbar fitted solely for that purpose alone (unless you're very short).

Top Bottom