Cycle carrier .

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Trigger369, 13 Jun 2018.

1. Trigger369

Trigger369 Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a decent cycle carrier ?
    Was looking one for taking bike on holidays . I'm looking more toward a roof carrier tho I will still need to buy roof bars first at around £75 . What's better or easier to use, one that uses the front wheel quick release or fixed on the down tube .
    Don't really fancy the rear mounted carrier as i hear they scratch the car or they block the car plates or lights ?
    What's ur experiences please

2. Drago

Drago Guru

Thule 532. The sweet sport for price, usefulness, and sturdy finish. You can spend less and would likely regret it eventually, and you could spend more but won't be brining anything else useful to the party.

It's the bears porridge...just right.

DCBassman and Trigger369 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Trigger369

Just the one bike

4. OP
    OP
    Trigger369

Didn't say but the car is a hyaundi Tuscon

Drago likes this.
  5. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

I've got a Thule 598 and it's spot on for what I need.

Trigger369 likes this.
  6. Drago

Drago Guru

I use the 532 on its sister car, the new Sportage.

Trigger369 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Trigger369

That's another thing I might only use it now and agian and not regular use . So I don't want to be spending big money fitting roof bars would be cheaper than a towbar

8. Broadside

Broadside Veteran

Thule 591 here which clamps the Downtube, very easy to use and great for occasional use.

These days I transport 3-5 bikes every weekend for cycle club and going out on family rides so I have a towbar Thule Rack as well which is brilliant but is a very expensive option for just one bike.

Trigger369 likes this.
  9. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

I use a Thule one that you remove the front wheel and lock on like a quick release very stable . If your bikes carbon I would not want to clamp the downtube that's why I went with the front wheel removed one . Have carried a steel bike with a borrowed carrier that clamped the downtube but I feel the wheel removed one folds the bike more firmly

Dogtrousers, Trigger369 and Drago like this.
  10. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

Looked up model number thule 561
    There seems to be Thule theme here . My cousin used to work in Halfords (car side )and rates Thule products very highly they virutaly never had any faulty returns .

Trigger369 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Trigger369

Does the Thule 532 clamp on either side of the down tube or wrap around the tube. Just wondering as I've 2 bottle cages on the bike and not much room inbetween?

12. Drago

Drago Guru

It's clamps the sides, but it has a slight wedge shape and a very grippy rubber face on the jaws so it's very secure. Bottle cages, nae problem. It's very good on odd shaped tube profiles too, like my full squidge MTB.

Trigger369 likes this.
  13. furball

furball Veteran

As well as the roof bars and the bike clamp you will need the correct fixtures to secure the bars to your car. Total cost of all the parts between £250 and £300.

14. the stupid one

the stupid one Senior Member

Oh dear, a friend of mine (genuinely, not me) fell for this a couple of weeks ago. His wife, instead of shouting STOP!, just quietly asked him what he was doing as he blithely covered the last few metres before impact.

He has some wheels waiting to be trued.

User259 and Dogtrousers like this.
  15. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

Thule 591 for me.

Trigger369 and DCBassman like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice