Cycle carrier .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Can anyone recommend a decent cycle carrier ?
Was looking one for taking bike on holidays . I'm looking more toward a roof carrier tho I will still need to buy roof bars first at around £75 . What's better or easier to use, one that uses the front wheel quick release or fixed on the down tube .
Don't really fancy the rear mounted carrier as i hear they scratch the car or they block the car plates or lights ?
What's ur experiences please

Drago

Legendary Member
Thule 532. The sweet sport for price, usefulness, and sturdy finish. You can spend less and would likely regret it eventually, and you could spend more but won't be brining anything else useful to the party.

It's the bears porridge...just right.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
That's another thing I might only use it now and agian and not regular use . So I don't want to be spending big money fitting roof bars would be cheaper than a towbar

Broadside

Guru
Thule 591 here which clamps the Downtube, very easy to use and great for occasional use.

These days I transport 3-5 bikes every weekend for cycle club and going out on family rides so I have a towbar Thule Rack as well which is brilliant but is a very expensive option for just one bike.

13 rider

Guru
I use a Thule one that you remove the front wheel and lock on like a quick release very stable . If your bikes carbon I would not want to clamp the downtube that's why I went with the front wheel removed one . Have carried a steel bike with a borrowed carrier that clamped the downtube but I feel the wheel removed one folds the bike more firmly

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Does the Thule 532 clamp on either side of the down tube or wrap around the tube. Just wondering as I've 2 bottle cages on the bike and not much room inbetween?

Drago

Legendary Member
It's clamps the sides, but it has a slight wedge shape and a very grippy rubber face on the jaws so it's very secure. Bottle cages, nae problem. It's very good on odd shaped tube profiles too, like my full squidge MTB.

As well as the roof bars and the bike clamp you will need the correct fixtures to secure the bars to your car. Total cost of all the parts between £250 and £300.

Top Bottom