Cycle Clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

willhub said:
That's like 10 miles each then?

I think you should try and take abit of food on the bike and try doing the distance not stopping, or just quickly stopping to take in some food. Unless you're happy with doing 10-30 miles and not really ever increasing that.

Ah so stopping to have a bit of food will mean you'll never increase distance :ohmy:

aJohnson said:
Ah so stopping to have a bit of food will mean you'll never increase distance :ohmy:

Sorry what? You're missing the point......

No one should need a full on cafe stop for 25 miles. The only reason I said about stopping to take in abit of food is cause that's what I do, I'm not good at eating on the bike especially when I've got gloves on. Maybe he has the skillz for it though.

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
The stopping for food is optional anyway, as I will have dinner before setting off to be honest. Its just a good idea, just in case. My longest ride so far is 21 miles and that was yesterday but I was tired. I can easy do 30 miles if I wish to. I just don't want too big a jump between distances.

aJohnson said:
It's not a matter of needing to stop.

So why bother stopping? On a 25 mile ride? It's more of a commute by the sounds of it to down some beers..

Fluffy said:
The stopping for food is optional anyway, as I will have dinner before setting off to be honest. Its just a good idea, just in case. My longest ride so far is 21 miles and that was yesterday but I was tired. I can easy do 30 miles if I wish to. I just don't want too big a jump between distances.

There you go, clearly you don't need a "cafe stop", don't know why you'd want one either? Maybe if you're going to have a nice 35-40 mile pootle about at social pace and arrange a dinner too.

Not really, just seems weird. tbh I'm not used to seeing people go on 7 mile rides with a cafe stop, even the intro ride in my club which is really slow the cafe stop is about 25 miles.

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Its weird that my mileage is not that of yours? I have only been cycling best part of 7 months (Since I took it up again) I like to think I am very fit for my level. I picked a nice run I know I can do and won't look stupid if I couldn't do it and aJohnson could. Also he is on a road bike, I am on a mtb with road tyres (Although its a light aluminium bike 13kgs)

Fluffy said:
Its weird that my mileage is not that of yours? I have only been cycling best part of 7 months (Since I took it up again) I like to think I am very fit for my level. I picked a nice run I know I can do and won't look stupid if I couldn't do it and aJohnson could. Also he is on a road bike, I am on a mtb with road tyres (Although its a light aluminium bike 13kgs)

No I never said it's weird that you can't do mileage that I can, that takes time and training. Each to there own. Just I reckon you'd be better off without a cafe stop, it'd be more beneficial.

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

The trip is to the lake itself, there just happens to be a few cafe's on the waterfront. One of us could get hungry, so it's nice to have the option.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Getting out for any length of ride is good and a social stop for refreshments is perfectly ok. I enjoy going 3 miles with my son and stopping for an ice cream, or a 50 with friends or by myself at the weekend with a cafe stop, even my 8 mile commute. Enjoy your ride guys and have your stop whenever you want. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

It is a social ride as prelude to joining a cycling club. I do training solo as I can ride at my own pace, fast or slow depends on road surface etc.

Top Bottom