Cycle Clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fluffy said:
It is a social ride as prelude to joining a cycling club. I do training solo as I can ride at my own pace, fast or slow depends on road surface etc.

Well ok, I hope you want to start upping your distances though eventually, cause 7.1 miles with a cafe stop, you'll end up dieing on even an introduction ride in a club.

redddraggon

Blondie
willhub said:
Well ok, I hope you want to start upping your distances though eventually, cause 7.1 miles with a cafe stop, you'll end up dieing on even an introduction ride in a club.

Or you could do a Willhub and turn up to his first 100mile hilly club run wearing Jeans and a fleece carrying a full rucksack (containing a laptop to play Test Drive unlimited at the cafe stop) and still batter everyone.

redddraggon said:
Or you could do a Willhub and turn up to his first 100mile hilly club run wearing Jeans and a fleece carrying a full rucksack (containing a laptop to play Test Drive unlimited at the cafe stop) and still batter everyone.

That's not true, it was 72 miles, I had a fleece on and some cheap cycling shorts and a big backpack. I did get laughed at so bad though. I still remember what I had for dinner, mushroom, beans and toast. That was 2 and abit years ago.

I was about 7 months into cycling then, fluffy, and I reckon you'd be able to do it, one day you should try it, not on your own like, I did it in a group, and was absolutely dead after it. North of Manchester you'd get the same effect out of 45-50 miles though cause there is hardly a flat road.

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Omg what is it with some people, how many times do I have to say the same thing. Its a ride to the lake, there just happens to be cafe's there, the whole trip is around 25 miles. I am sorry I cant do 50 miles or more yet, now if you don't have anything nice to say then don't bother saying anything.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Oh I didnt see this thread before, shame since I am wanting to join the Manchester Wheelers, I dont have much time in the evenings or weekends for social rides hence I've been hesitant to join a club (its a bit lame joining if you cant really contribute so well to the club due to time constraints) and train on the mornings, but I want to come along when I can and try to do the club 10 regularly, have my completed application on my desk right now. :tongue:

I do wonder though, how do you decide who is allowed to join and who isnt? i.e they have an accepted or declined response to applications, yet the form does not ask for any personal questions whatsoever. Im interested to how they decide :S

One question, are most activities based in macclesfield or just the club 10? Because thats a 20 mile run out and back (40 mile round trip) before even taking part in a club ride. Furthest ive ever been is 50. Dont want to blow up 20 miles into a club ride, hah

Expect my application and to meet me within a month (hopefully, pending on acceptance or application).

Manchester Wheelers rides start in Didsbury (south Manchester), everyone who joins is accepted, people being rejected would be rare, I know one person who would be rejected though for certain reasons.

Club 10's are based in lower withington I think.

You won't blow up 20 miles into a club ride, something like 40% energy is saved when on the back of someone elses wheel.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
willhub said:
Manchester Wheelers rides start in Didsbury (south Manchester), everyone who joins is accepted, people being rejected would be rare, I know one person who would be rejected though for certain reasons.

You won't blow up 20 miles into a club ride, something like 40% energy is saved when on the back of someone elses wheel.

I meant I'd blow up if I had to cycle 20 mile to the start then 20 mile home after :tongue: although im not sure that I wouldnt blow up on a normal ride, tried keep up with one of your members along upper brook street last tuesday, managed to keep the gap constant over about 2 mile, but it hurt a bit!

And thats ace, since Didsbury is very convenient :smile:

The club 10 is in lower withington, (I said macclefield above since that was the closest bold font location on map :smile:), which is like 20 miles from where im based :evil: hence why I ask regarding the other events. I've looked at the club 10 route, will put it in my garmin when I learn how and head over to run round it leisurely.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
willhub said:

Ha - I was once overtaken by a Manchester Wheelers club run on the steepest part of the Cragg Vale climb and they were going at about 16 mph, all on the big ring and the ones at the back looked like they were going to black out! :tongue:

Rob3rt said:
I meant I'd blow up if I had to cycle 20 mile to the start then 20 mile home after :tongue: although im not sure that I wouldnt blow up on a normal ride, tried keep up with one of your members along upper brook street last tuesday, managed to keep the gap constant over about 2 mile, but it hurt a bit!

And thats ace, since Didsbury is very convenient :smile:

The club 10 is in lower withington, (I said macclefield above since that was the closest bold font location on map :tongue:), which is like 20 miles from where im based :biggrin: hence why I ask regarding the other events. I've looked at the club 10 route, will put it in my garmin when I learn how and head over to run round it leisurely.

Hehe upper brook street, if I ever go out at going home time along that road there always seems to be someone battering it :tongue:, last week, there was a guy on some road bike or hybrid with a large saddle bag, quite thick tyres, and he was really going for it on the drops, I overtook him at about 33mph and he kept up with me, damn strong rider considering the bike he was on and the stuff he had on it, he turned off at the junction at cheadle.

ColinJ said:
Ha - I was once overtaken by a Manchester Wheelers club run on the steepest part of the Cragg Vale climb and they were going at about 16 mph, all on the big ring and the ones at the back looked like they were going to black out! ;)

That'll have being one of the faster club runs, infact on Sunday the wheelers are going that way again, going to be a steady ride though I think.. How steep does Cragg Vale get at the steepest part?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
willhub said:
Hehe upper brook street, if I ever go out at going home time along that road there always seems to be someone battering it ;), last week, there was a guy on some road bike or hybrid with a large saddle bag, quite thick tyres, and he was really going for it on the drops, I overtook him at about 33mph and he kept up with me, damn strong rider considering the bike he was on and the stuff he had on it, he turned off at the junction at cheadle.

I often scoot up upper brook street on my fixed wheeler about 18:30pm so maybe it was you I was trying to keep up with. I know it was a wheelers member because of the jersey, they took me as I was puling away at the joshua brooks area (i was stationary, they were moving, obviously caught the lights just right) so I thought, hmm lets play catch up, maybe say hi since I was looking to join etc, so I put the hammer down and caught up around the stratstone garage and then kept pace about 25 yards behind up to the turn off to rusholme. Lungs were burning :tongue:

Rob3rt said:
I often scoot up upper brook street about 18:30pm so maybe it was you I was trying to kep up with. I know it was a wheelers member because of jersey, they took me as I was puling away at the joshua brooks area (i was stationary, they were moving, obviously caught the lights just right) so I thought, hmm lets play catch up, caught up around the stratstone garage and then kept pace about 25 yards behind up to the turn off to rusholme. Lungs were burning ;)

It won't have being me, I only started wearing a wheelers jersey on Saturday. If you've seen anyone on a silver CAAD9 all in black, or in black jersey with red/black Clifton CC shorts on then that's me, I sometimes wear a Wills Wheels gillet too when it's snowing.

redddraggon

Blondie
Fluffy said:
Any good clubs in the Greater Manchester area that do rides on week days or sunday evenings?

redddraggon said:
Manchester Wheelers often ride Tuesday and Wednesday evenings in various formats, and we have Club 10s on a Thursday too.

I think you need to look at the CTC, Manchester Wheelers does do a lot of Midweek evening stuff these days, but it tends to be proper training, sort of thrashing it for a couple of hours. With you asking for a "good club" I thought that's what you were asking for ;)

There's nout wrong with the CTC, I often go with a North Wales group, but they are a hardcore bunch, doing 80mile super hilly rides, however the CTC do offer the sort of rides you are looking for at your level. As to whether or not a group local group to you does times that suit I don't know you'll have to google, but I know the North Wales & Chester groups do a few midweek rides.

Here's the website: http://www.cyclingmanchester.org.uk/

But there seems to be a few deadlinks on there. I reckon they might be your best bet

redddraggon

Blondie
willhub said:
It won't have being me, I only started wearing a wheelers jersey on Saturday. If you've seen anyone on a silver CAAD9 all in black, or in black jersey with red/black Clifton CC shorts on then that's me, I sometimes wear a Wills Wheels gillet too when it's snowing.

You'll probably smell Will coming first ;) He wears the same kit all week :tongue:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You ride a CAAD9 too huh, same, except its more like I own one than ride one, since its been out like 2-3 times only, I ride my dog most of the time.

If you ever see anyone riding a fuji track with clip on aero bars, red as a beetroot, in non-cycling attire bar a helmet, red bag on back, that will be me on my training/fixed wheel bike.

Top Bottom