Cycle computer thingy. Do I want one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
I don't have a compooter on my bike and haven't had since a company called Avocet (I think?) made them. I expect they've moved on leaps and bounds since that 3 or 4 mode jobbie I had all those years back.

Anyhow, I luuuv a gadget and consequently have drawers and shelves of seldom used electronic crapola, but figure that maybe just getting a bracket to fix my phone to my handlebars will do just a good a job as a newfangled computer. Or will it? Also, I don't want to know how slow I'm going!

snorri

Legendary Member
Nah, get a computer.
Nobody can 'phone or text a computer and disturb your cycling enjoyment:smile:.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've never regretted removing my cycle computer (someone nicked my front wheel so it wasn't by choice). I enjoyed not knowing my current speed and constantly trying to pedal 1mph faster. Not having a record of my max speed meant no longer trying to break it, and I don't need to know the time. Cycling became instantly more leisurely without it :smile:

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I've never regretted removing my cycle computer (someone nicked my front wheel so it wasn't by choice). I enjoyed not knowing my current speed and constantly trying to pedal 1mph faster. Not having a record of my max speed meant no longer trying to break it, and I don't need to know the time. Cycling became instantly more leisurely without it :smile:

I think this is my reasoning, too.

Alan O

Über Member
Same here, except that I removed mine voluntarily. Checking speed, checking distance... it was all distracting me from the actual joys of being out on a bike. Now I just have a phone in my bag (not mounted on the bars where it would be just as distracting) which tracks my ride with the Strava app, and that's just for keeping a record.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
What 'appened was... I downloaded a GPX file of a route from t'internet, but I had to stop at every junction to get my phone out and see which way to go. This quickly became very tiring in both senses. It would've been good to have summat shouting out "turn left here, goldfish brain"!

There are several uses of a bike computer. These are few that spring to my mind but others may add more

Odometer or trip computer to give you all information about speed, distance, moving time, stopping time etc. May not be very useful depending on your kind of riding

Cadence and power etc but you need additional gadgets to connect- again it all depends . Not for me.

Heart rate etc. Again need additional connection. Not for me. If my heart stops, I will stop peddling anyway. Not for me

GPS or navigation. The most useful function for me

I use simple old Garmin Dakota 20. It provides me with everything I need.

Trip computer function
I can upload routes when I go touring

I can use the phone for both but worried about battery life and having an accident and breaking the phone.

Some smart guy here can answer that question for us here please...

Alan O

Über Member
I can use the phone for both but worried about battery life and having an accident and breaking the phone.

Some smart guy here can answer that question for us here please...
I'm certainly not claiming to be a smart guy, but I carry a high-capacity USB battery thing, and I have a relatively cheap old phone that is dedicated to Strava tracking. And when it comes to accidents, my focus is more on not breaking me :smile:

I'm certainly not claiming to be a smart guy, but I carry a high-capacity USB battery thing, and I have a relatively cheap old phone that is dedicated to Strava tracking. And when it comes to accidents, my focus is more on not breaking me :smile:

I was thinking of buying one of them.
Do you connect it to the phone while riding?
How long will it last?
What make is your one?

Alan O

Über Member
I was thinking of buying one of them.
Do you connect it to the phone while riding?
How long will it last?
What make is your one?
Mine is one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology-Black/dp/B00VJSGT2A/

I have it connected to the phone all day, and even after my longest ride this year of 105 miles, it was still registering 3 out of 4 on the charge leds. That's powering an iPhone 5, which showed 100% all day.

(Just fixed the link there - wrong one first time)

D

Deleted member 26715

mate uses his mobile sometimes and his accuracy is abysmal . same route 2 up riding together and hes 20 mins faster .....
His probably is set to auto-pause yours probably isn't.

@simonali GPS is okay but I can never read mine whilst riding so have to stop anyway

Top Bottom