cycle computer vs gps accuracy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
HJ said:
A well set up computer is more actuate than a GPS. Unless you have a differential GPS system with a correctly set up base station, your ordinary GPS is, at best, only accurate to +or- 5m.
Maybe, maybe not. A well set up computer isn't going to take into consideration that when hammering through a set of tight corners at highish lean angles your 700x28c tyres are giving an equivalent rolling radius as a 23c tyre on the flat.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Another point is that to be "well set up", you would have to make checks on a regular basis.
Eg note the tyre pressure when you calibrated and check/adjust pressure before each ride, recalibrate on a change of tyre or if the load varied significantly (put front panniers on).

Furthermore, a front wheel travels further than the back wheel does - outside line on bends, wandering from side to side as you maintain balance. Which wheel do you pick?

jimboalee

Smokin Joe mentioned earlier the 'true reading'.

What is the 'true reading' and how is it established?

I did mine by riding alomg a main A road with km marker posts. I compared my computer distance with the 5km of marker posts and did a correction sum.

I reckon ( because no-one can be totally sure ) I'm less than 0.5% away.

HJ said:
A well set up computer is more actuate than a GPS. Unless you have a differential GPS system with a correctly set up base station, your ordinary GPS is, at best, only accurate to +or- 5m.

But we're not talking about absolute position - it's about the accuracy in determining change in position.

Generally the longer-term bias will be mitigated by differencing successive fixes and a high sampling rate and appropriate dynamic model will smooth out short-term variation.

But unless you happen to know the inward workings and algorithms in your GPS it's hard to determine what it's doing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've seen GPS units wandering so much that you can go into the caff and come-out later to find you've covered an extra couple of km while you were having a coffee...
That's probably because the bike with the GPS on was shoved up against a wall with a pile of other bikes leaning against it and the device was not getting a clear view of enough satellites OR (more sensibly) the owner of the GPS took it with him/her into the cafe to avoid it getting stolen and it couldn't get a proper signal indoors.

I've only had a couple of hiccups with my cheapo Garmin Etrex and that is usually due to setting off before the GPS has locked on to enough satellites. It needs 3 for an accurate positional fix and 4 to get the elevation right too. It did lose satellite lock once in a local valley with very steep sides (at Mill Bank near Ripponden) but normally it is extremely reliable.

Top Bottom