Cycle computer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Hello,
I got a cheap cycle computer from argos when i first started, and it seems to have got confused. So i need another one. Can anyone recommend a good one, i dont want to spend to much on one, about £20, and it would be nice to have an adometer on it. So which one do you use?
Its going to be used on a folder at the moment untill i get enough money to buy a road bike, so it needs to be able to change and be able to cope with
16" wheels, and be able to recieve from about 42cm away from the transmitter. It may seem strange, but some say they dont recieve from that far away.
I thought about waiting and getting one of those free ones with the cereals for now, but i dont think its got all the things on that i want it to have on.
Cheers

Pete

Joe24 said:
...adometer...
Do you mean 'odometer'? All computers I've ever seen have that as standard, it's the first function they will provide. And there are plenty of multi-function models well within your £20 target. What hike the price up are 'cadence' and HRM, because they need a second transmitter.

You don't have to go wireless, if you don't mind routeing a bit of wire up the forks and steerer. This will save on cost - and batteries. I've never tried installing a wired computer on a folder but I can't imagine any problems. Most wireless models seem to start at around £30 which is above your budget.

Pete

Sorry, didn't make any suggestions. Many people go for Cateye, which are a well-known and fairly well-received make. I personally choose VDO: they have a wired model that is within your £20. See here.

papercorn2000

Alternatively, you could wait until Lidl do bike stuff again. I got a computer/HRM which is just fine for the turbo for about £17. Bit rattly for the road bike mind.

longers

Legendary Member
I've got a basic Trek one (definately under £20) and it does odometer, trip, riding time, clock and max speed. I tried wirless but found them unrelaible (eat batteries and fiddly to set up) but many people use them.
One good function of the Trek is that you can reset the odometer when you change the battery so you don't lose those hard won miles.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Hello,
cheers for the replies.
I did think about a wired one because at first i wasnt sure if it was picking up the transmitter when it was first set up.
So i shall go for wired.
The Cateye VDO C1 10 Function Computer looks pretty good, but it says 2 wheel sizes, so it might not go as far down as for 16" wheels? On the one i have i had to do the circumference of the wheels, are these the same?
Are the wire's on them going to break with the folding? Its a folding bike, but doesnt get folded much.
The Cateye VDO C1 might be better if it does the smaller wheels, so i can use it other bikes.

Cheers for the help.

Top Bottom