Cycle-cops - can they run red lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Two MTB bobbies and one in a Noddy Car (I didn't know Lothian & Borders had Smart plod-mobiles) cuffing and questioning some shifty-looking blokes on Princes Street yesterday at about 4.50pm. Guess the bikes are handy racing after shoplifters!

mark barker

I'd like to see more around... In this area theres a distinct lack of police presence, and the sight of a few police officers (or indeed community support officers) on bikes would be reassuring for many members of the community

Drug and violent crime on the housing estate near my work has supposedly fallen markedly since police mtb patrols started patrolling the labyrinthine passageways (The Meadows, for Jezston). I often spot a helicopter hovering overhead which I assume helps direct them to their targets if the crims aren't caught red handed.

battered

Guru
I think that's part of it. Coppers in cars tend to be ignored and while beat bobbies are likely to catch a crime in progress about once every 3o years people talk to them and they can act on the info.

It's amusing seeing people being arrested, I remember watching one of the "cameras in cars" documentaries with a mate. They were in Hull and Grimsby so we watched it for local interest. Most of what thgey were doing was routine teenagers with no MoT, a dodgy stereo and 10 quid's worth of dope, and the lads in question were yapping away, digging holes and hurling themselves in with abandon. "I never did noffin, you ant got nowt on me!" etc. They then cut to a car from out of town with 4 shady looking characters on board. Stop and check, they were from Birmingham with no reasonable explanation as to why they were in Hull at 10pm on a Wednesday. Silence. "If you can't give me an explanation of why you are here then I'll be asking you to accompany me to the station." Silence. 4 scowling blokes, not a word. There was clearly something going down but nobody was saying a thing. They didn't even ask for a brief. Off they went to the station, but they were a world away from the petty car stereo thieving local boys.

Jezston

Über Member
TWBNK said:
But, how many people run away on streets alone? They may be expecting the exciting stuff like riding down steps and through parks and what not.

I think generally the idea is for chasing people on foot.

I saw a great video where a police bike started chasing a courier who had failed to stop, yes the knobbly tyres appeared to be a drawback and the courier must have been chuckling to himself as he pulled away.

However he failed to realise the police have radios and it was soon over once the vans entered the chase.

I stand corrected! ;)

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Jezston said:
What ARE the mountain-bike-bobbies for anyway? Meeting some kind of targets?

The fact someone thought knobbly-tired mountain bikes would be a suitable bicycle for riding on streets suggests they certainly aren't for chasing people.

Absolutely......
I only ride mine on a Friday and Saturday night down town to look cool for the ladies.
Having never ever chased and caught a bad boy on on my mountain knobbly tyred bike that had just stolen a bike in town, silently sneak up on them they whilst they were dealing a bit of dope, beaten a car across town to get to a violent domestic first and have the offender in cuffs before the first car arrived! Been as visible as a bobby on foot and cover 5 times the ground. Been more approachable than officers in a car and having lost 3 stone since starting to ride a bike.
I can concur total waste of time!:sad:
But then I have slicks on my MTB.....:thumbsup:

You can put 20 fully trained officers on bikes on the street for the price of one patrol car.

Vikeonabike

Muddyfox said:
Emergency vehicles can run a red light but they have to treat it as a give way ... the only regulation they cant break is to drive/ride a one way street the wrong way

Simon

Yep.....however may forget about the one way street rule on my bike in an emergency!:sad:

OP
OP
K

Krypton

He he a real bike-bobby ... hello Vike. So, do you have lights and siren then? lol

It must keep you seriously fit carrying all that gear around. Batman had less stuff in his utility belt.

I often see these two lady "specials" wandering down the main shopping street and wonder to myself, how the hell are they going to be able to chase anyone with all that gear on.

Is it more lightweight than it looks?

Vikeonabike

Krypton said:
He he a real bike-bobby ... hello Vike. So, do you have lights and siren then? lol

It must keep you seriously fit carrying all that gear around. Batman had less stuff in his utility belt.

I often see these two lady "specials" wandering down the main shopping street and wonder to myself, how the hell are they going to be able to chase anyone with all that gear on.

Is it more lightweight than it looks?

No Blue lights and sirens for me..My constabulary is still lagging behind many others, with that and issues like training.
The kit is heavy, added to the paperwork I carry in my panniers, ludicrously heavy.

Top Bottom