1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycle cross - beginners advice

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by shieldp, 4 Feb 2008.

1. shieldp

shieldp New Member

Hi, I'm from a cross country running background but my knees are telling me that age is catching up so I'm looking for something not quite so demanding on knees but still a good challenge in fields, mud etc. Cycle cross seems to tick all the boxes.
    I've got no previous bike experience. I've been looking at a Giant TCX Zero is this considered to be ok (seemed very pricey!) Also, what do you do about shoes? do you cycle in cross country shoes and open pedals or try to run in cycle shoes?
    Any other advice for a beginner welcome!
    Thanks

2. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

shieldo, I'm no crosser, but in the absence of anyone more knowledgable than me, BikeRadar did do a series of articles designed to be an introduction to the sport.

I'm not sure if it will have the answers you're looking for, but part one is here;

http://www.bikeradar.com/racing/article/cyclo-cross-tips-gear-and-more-12681

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Cycling shoes. There isn't often that much running involved. If you are running fit, you'll do well, but do some hard training in bike handling and you'll do better.

4. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Mountain bike shoes and pedals. Most people opt for Crank bros. Egg-beaters - they are light, easy to get in and out of and they shed mud easily.

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I think most people use SPDs looking around.

Personally, I'd recommend Time Atacs.

Tip, make sure your shoes take studs.

6. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

have you seen the Focus Cross Pro 2008?

my word that's one good value, good looking bike. I'd have one tomorrow if i had a spare grand.

7. mr-marty-martin

mr-marty-martin New Member

tbh some of the best cross riders are runners, ive added two hard runs into my weekly training plan and im seeing the benifits all the time, for the amount of time your actualy of your bike cycling shoes are better (spd's) much more afficanty and actulay pritty grippy when running over hurdles etc

8. atbman

atbman Über Member

Paul Milnes does a pretty good line in good value, inexpensive 'cross bikes and does a flourishing trade in mail order if you can't get to his shop in Bradford.

9. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Has the shop moved, cause last time i was in Bradford & went past the shop on Little Horton lane it looked closed down :biggrin:

10. palinurus

palinurus Guru

I bought some bits from their eBay shop a few weeks back.

11. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Was back in Bradford today & passed said shop & it was open for business. Must have just been closed when i last passed, but there is a for sale sign on the building, but that could be for the flat above :eek: