Cycle cross - beginners advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shieldp

Hi, I'm from a cross country running background but my knees are telling me that age is catching up so I'm looking for something not quite so demanding on knees but still a good challenge in fields, mud etc. Cycle cross seems to tick all the boxes.
I've got no previous bike experience. I've been looking at a Giant TCX Zero is this considered to be ok (seemed very pricey!) Also, what do you do about shoes? do you cycle in cross country shoes and open pedals or try to run in cycle shoes?
Any other advice for a beginner welcome!
Thanks

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
shieldo, I'm no crosser, but in the absence of anyone more knowledgable than me, BikeRadar did do a series of articles designed to be an introduction to the sport.

I'm not sure if it will have the answers you're looking for, but part one is here;

http://www.bikeradar.com/racing/article/cyclo-cross-tips-gear-and-more-12681

papercorn2000

Mountain bike shoes and pedals. Most people opt for Crank bros. Egg-beaters - they are light, easy to get in and out of and they shed mud easily.

mr-marty-martin

tbh some of the best cross riders are runners, ive added two hard runs into my weekly training plan and im seeing the benifits all the time, for the amount of time your actualy of your bike cycling shoes are better (spd's) much more afficanty and actulay pritty grippy when running over hurdles etc

atbman

Veteran
Paul Milnes does a pretty good line in good value, inexpensive 'cross bikes and does a flourishing trade in mail order if you can't get to his shop in Bradford.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
atbman said:
Paul Milnes does a pretty good line in good value, inexpensive 'cross bikes and does a flourishing trade in mail order if you can't get to his shop in Bradford.

Has the shop moved, cause last time i was in Bradford & went past the shop on Little Horton lane it looked closed down :biggrin:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Soltydog said:
Has the shop moved, cause last time i was in Bradford & went past the shop on Little Horton lane it looked closed down ;)

Was back in Bradford today & passed said shop & it was open for business. Must have just been closed when i last passed, but there is a for sale sign on the building, but that could be for the flat above :eek:

Top Bottom